The rusalka

So, the craziest thing happened to me this morning. I was almost turned into monster-food by some weird death cult. That's not even the weirdest part; I think I was saved by whatever they called forth into our world.

Some backstory; I went back to my birth country, to Russia, to visit some family. During my stay with the family, I decided to go hunting. It's a common practice where I come from, and if you know the area well enough like I do. You can go as a one-person team. It's perfectly fine and acceptable with the locals. Obviously, as long as you take provisions and a means of communication with you. Yeah, even people in the furthest reaches of Mother Russia now have cellphones and the internet. While there's no real way of communicating via phone in the depths of the taiga, at the edges of the Russian forests, there is plenty of reception.

So, I go out after dawn. My plan was to hunt for hares. Sadly, I didn't get to hunt much. I mean just when I took aim one of those little buggers. I felt a sharp pain at the back of my head, and everything went black as I collapsed. When I came to, I found myself tied up to a tree facing a lake. Mind you Tuva isn't exactly small. So, I had no idea where I was. When I regained some of my senses, I tried to get free from the ropes that bound me to the tree but I couldn't. I saw no one at first, so I screamed; demanding to be released.

I didn't really expect what came next, a naked man dressed in some animal hide came up to me from behind and began growling and barking at me like a rabid animal. I was expecting some crime syndicate, not this.

At this point I have to mention that sometimes people do "just disappear" in Russia, sadly, we haven't gone over the whole perestroika crime surge completely.

Anyhow, as this creature is barking at me, more like him appear from all over. At this point, I was beginning to wish for some mafia-style criminal to have abducted me. I screamed and thrashed against the ropes that bound me to the tree. I was panicking like crazy, but at that moment I think I was trying to scare these creatures. I don't know what they were, but I suppose a death cult won't suffice; I mean all but one of them seemed like feral children that had reached adulthood.

One of those animals had gotten enough of my tantrum and scratched my abdomen. I froze when he did, not because I was surprised by him doing so but because I felt liquid rolling down underneath my shirt and jacket. That thing sliced through my clothes and skin with human nails. I didn't know you could cut so deep with human nails.

At that moment, I just stared at those things that were all around me, trying to process what I'm dealing with. I was unable to think straight. The pain in my abdomen finally reached my brain a few seconds later. It hurt like hell; it still hurts like hell and doesn't look any better. It's like an actual Snow Leopard cut my belly.

I was frozen there, trying to think of how to react to being sliced up like a piece of meat when some old man dressed in a bear's pelt comes out of the lake and screams at the things around me to stop. At least that's what I assume he was screaming because he screamed something in some sort of East Slavic dialect that made them stop and back away from me.

I began screaming at him to let me go; I was getting really angry at my captors and so a flurry of vulgar terms flew all over the place. The creatures just stood and glared at me with puzzled looks in their eyes.

The old man began laughing.

"What's so funny, you old fuck?" I screamed at him.

The old man stopped laughing, eerily suddenly, so much so that I felt a chill crawl down my spine. He then said in a gleeful tone, in perfect modern Russian; "The goddess is hungry, and you are her snack."

My heart sunk, thoughts swirling in my mind. The realization came quickly; I was about to be killed, sacrificed to some twisted entity these death cultists conjured in their demented minds.