prologue

Every one of us has our own turmoils in life. We live with things that others simply could not understand. Sometimes understanding is what we need, and sometimes we simply need someone to stand by us whether they understand or not.

The past can cause such ugly things to emerge within us.

When I was a girl, I wanted only to help people. I was the white rose of the kingdom. My people thought that I could do no wrong. But love often turns into hatred, when they see things that they do not understand.

I didn't choose to be this way. I didn't choose to be cast aside and dubbed a witch.

But magic was a dark art to my people, outlawed since the days of King Uther of Camelot. No one could accept that I was simply born this way. To them, I had sold my soul and become a dark and malevolent force.

After years of people telling you that you are evil, simply for being yourself, you begin to believe it too. You start to think that there is no other way. And so, I became the monster that they all feared.

But, as fate would have it, I came across the paths of men from the North that changed my whole world. They were men like none I'd met before, and did not think me a monster at all.

Instead, I found my heart among them, within the love of a prince of Kattegat. And, in some way, I became myself again, gaining the ability to help him as he helped me.

No matter how my story has ended, in gruesome and devastating ways, I am glad for the tale that has persisted. I am happy for the time that I have shared, with Hvitserk Ragnarsson.

Ahaha wow she's Welsh. Because we never knew that was going to happen. The temptation to name her after myself (Angharad Rhiannon... I know, it's like the welshest name in the world because my dad was Welsh lmao) was S T R O N G. Plus, disclaimer, Angharad Goldenhand and Rhiannon were the two most iconic people in Arthurian legend and you cannot change my mind.
However, Gwenllian (daughter of Angharad Ferch Owain haha) is another Welsh icon and tbh I just really wanted to name her after a strong woman like that.
Anyway, enjoy. I'm really excited to write this!!!

-Rhi