chapter 15

"Are you completely insane or just mentally challenged?" I asked, eyes squinted as I looked at the brothers

"Those two can offer you both, if you'd like." Ivar grinned devilishly, and I had to hold back a small chuckle at his snarky reply.

"I am not staying in a Christian church!" I persisted stubbornly, arms folded. "Have you lost your mind, Ivar?"

"What's the issue?" He shrugged, a small chuckle. "We killed the priest already. Or are you afraid of their God? Hm?"

"Their God is afraid of me, thank you very much." I responded standing sharply with an angry pout. "But I would tear this monument to him down if I could. Do you have any idea how much suffering this Christian God has caused my people? Do you have any idea at all?"

"Gwenllian, calm-" Ubbe began but I quickly raised my hand to silence him.

"Do not tell me to calm down or, so help me, I will cut you down here and now Ubbe Ragnarsson." I answered firmly, making all of them silence. "Why of all places would you want to dwell in their church, I don't understand."

"It's the most defensible position in the city." Ivar shrugged. "And it's ours now anyway."

I scoffed, glaring back at him again. "So it's to piss off the Saxons then? Hm?"

"And what if it is?" He retorted quickly. Making me narrow my gaze angrily.

"I won't stay here! I'll sleep in one of the cottages if I must." I answered, arms folded and chin raised with that stubbornness forcing me on.

"And how are we meant to keep you safe if we're all here and you're out there?" Hvitserk spoke up, making me turn towards him.

A small grin spread over me as I turned to walk towards the door. "I can look after myself." I answered, slamming the double doors open and leaving with a huff. Men. I'd forgotten how pigheaded and frustrating they were.

As if I ever needed anyone to look after me, to keep me safe. I was Queen, a high priestess, a warrior. All of this I'd built from nothing, unlike the princes who'd inherited respect from their father. I feared nothing. Not them, not the Saxons. Not their God or Gods.

As I walked towards one of the cottages to set up camp, a single raven flew over my head. Its black feathers fluttered in the wind, wafting through the sky like a God. In an instant, my mind clouded with visions. Visions of the past... And visions of the future.

"Be careful, Hvitserk." I spoke with such emotion and love that I could barely believe it was myself. "I can't lose you."

"I'll be back." He answered, holding onto my hand in reassurance. "I promise. We will see eachother again."

The visions jumbled, bloody swords and crowns, a serpent. My fingers were laced in blood, crimson leaking from my bones and dripping from my lips. I could taste it, the pain and the anguish. It was everywhere.

As my eyes jolted open, I clung onto the church wall for support. My fingers crept into the crevices of the old stone, my body shaking as I felt a sharp pain in my throat. When I coughed, blood splattered onto my hand and I realised in an instant what was happening.

This was not some mere vision of things to come. It was a warning. Fate was no longer in my favour. I had to leave this place. I had to stay away from the sons of Ragnar.