06. Closed practice

ok, so this chapter starts off with the montage of ej and ricky practising breaking free which I don't know how to write out so i'm going to write how it is in the original script for the movie with a few changes cuz ricky can't be in the girl's bathroom lol. sue me.

We see Carlos in the music classroom sitting at the piano, writing, "Breaking Free". Next, we see EJ practising the song in a locked room as Seb hears EJ and tries to investigate but due to the locked door, can't get in. Next, we see Ricky in the auditorium, practising the same song as Brianne approaches. Ricky hides and narrowly avoids Brianne. Next, we see Ricky rehearsing with Carlos, and then EJ rehearses with Carlos.

Coach Caswell blows his whistle, "Let's go, guys! Make it sharp! To the chest, come on! Pop it! Come on, guys. Keep with it! Let's go!"

The basketball team are all at practice - minus EJ - doing a drill. Coach walks over to Gina, "Come on, move it! Let's go! Come on guys, focus! Focus! Get your head in the game! Move it!" He gets to Big Red and takes the ball, "You seen EJ?"

"No, Coach," the red-head answers nervously.

Coach Caswell blows his whistle again, louder, "Again, let's go!"

Meanwhile, in the auditorium, EJ is painting a set-piece while Ricky is helping to sew a costume. They both look at each other and begin moving to the beat of the song in their minds until Miss Jenn walks over and gives them a stern look.

Later on, in the gym, the whistle is blown signalling that basketball practice is over.

Coach Caswell calls out, "That's it, guys. Time to hit the showers."

As the rest of the team is leaving, EJ shows up. Gina shoves the ball into her best friend's stomach as he passes. His dad is not happy. There is an uncomfortable silence between the two. Neither is willing to look the other in the eye.

"I uh... think I'm going to stay awhile. Work on some free throws."

"Well, since you missed practice, I think your team deserves a little effort from you today."

Coach Caswell walks off to his office. As he does, Ricky enters the gym from the main entrance, behind EJ.

"Wow, so this is your real stage?" the curly-haired boy asks, looking around the gymnasium.

The captain chuckles, walking over to the other boy, "Yeah, I guess you could call it that, or just a smelly old gym."

EJ hands the ball to Ricky who shoots the ball and makes the basket, impressing the taller boy.

"Whoa! Don't tell me your good at hoops, too."

Ricky looks to EJ, "You know, I once scored 41 points in a league championship game."

The older boy's jaw drops, "No way!"

The shorter boy grins smugly, "Mhm. Yeah, and on the same day, I invented the space shuttle and microwave popcorn."

"Oh! Microwave popcorn. Haha. Funny," EJ says as he shoots and makes another basket.

"I've been rehearsing with Carlos," Ricky tells him.

"Me too. And, um, by the way, I missed practice. So if I get kicked off the team it's on your conscience."

Getting a bit defensive, Ricky replies, "Hey, I wasn't the one who told you to sing!"

"Ricky, chill. I was kidding," EJ says smugly.

As payback, the smaller boy decides to steal the ball from EJ and taunt him by taking a few steps, teasing him.

"Hey, that's travelling."

The door to EJ's dad's office opens.

Ricky takes more steps back, turning away from him.

"No that's really bad travelling."

"What? What?" EJ runs up behind and picks up the smaller boy, spinning him around, making him laugh as the door that opened closes.

"Sir! I'm sorry, this is a closed practice," exclaims Coach Caswell, walking up to the two boys.

EJ puts Ricky down and unwraps his arms from around him. He replies, taken aback, "Dad, come on, practice is over."

"Not until the last player leaves the gym. Team rule."

Ricky looks down, ashamed, "Oh, I'm sorry, sir."

"Um, Dad, this is Ricky Bowen," EJ informed his father. Ricky then smiles politely and holds his hand out for him to shake which he ignores.

"Ah, your detention buddy."

At that comment, the younger boy's smile fades and he retracts his hand, handing the basketball back to EJ. "I'll see you later, EJ. Nice meeting you, Coach Caswell," he calls out as he runs out of the gym.

EJ's dad calls after him in a monotone voice, "You as well, Mr Bowen."

EJ watches as Ricky leaves. Once he is gone, he turns back to the older male, "Dad, detention was my fault, not his," he says, defending his crush.

"You haven't missed practising in three years. That boy shows up-"

"That boy is named Ricky. And he's very nice."

"Well, helping you miss practice doesn't make him very nice. Not in my book. Or your team's."

EJ raises his voice, "Dad, he's not a problem. He's just a boy."

"But you're not just a guy, EJ. You're the team leader. What you do effect not only this team but the entire school. And without you completely focused, we're not going to win next week. The championship games, they don't come along all the time. They're something special," his dad yells, softening his voice towards the end.

"Yeah, well a lot of things are special, Dad."

EJ's dad, grins nervously, "But you're a playmaker... not a singer, right?"

"Did you ever think that I could be both?" the teen exclaims, dropping the ball and storming off towards the locker rooms.