Grind 10

Hours days or weeks there, Daniel didn't know. Time blended together. One thing he noticed more were voices by his cell door. On one occasion a small flap opened and an eye peered in. Male voices squabbled.

Those arguments became more frequent the next time Daniel finally saw Lala again.

It was her—wearing a black helmet—and acting cold. Two men flanked her. One handed over a strip of metal for scrutiny, another pointed at Daniel while yelling.

Daniel panicked when he realized the nonsensical words weren't his imagination—he couldn't understand them.

Lala said something and Daniel's heart panged. Her words held no meaning. All events leading to now felt like a faded dream. He hadn't imagined her speaking his language. He hadn't imagined it.

The two men finally left.

Metal ground on metal as the door slid up.

"Lala." Daniel rushed in time to grab her to him. "Lala."

Body tensed, Lala said nothing. Daniel tightened his hold on the rubbery armor. Even the tepid helmet pressed against his face felt familiar and safe.

And then she held him.

It was strange and awkward at first but the grip grew stronger in time. With a flick of his finger under her chin, the helmet clicked up.

Lala hesitated but pulled it the rest of the way. Her hair was cut short again, nearly bald.

But her big brown eyes took him in and he calmed. She'd returned.

"I worried for you," Daniel said.

She didn't respond. For a split second he wondered if he'd imagined it—imagined them talking.

"Es reed," she whispered. "Es reed tut."

Daniel trembled but he forced himself to let her go and stand on his own. There was no point in being cowardly.

When he tried to take his hand back, she held it in place, pressing it against her cheek.

It was then he noticed that she wasn't breathing. He confirmed that grim discovery when she lowered his hand and put something in his grip. It was a small mask attached to a container of sorts.

Daniel pushed it back to her. "No. I do not need this nonsense. You should breathe. You should breathe and stop with this foolishness."

But she held his hand steady, unwilling to let him refuse.

So he kissed her. He kissed her to calm her. He kissed her to say goodbye because her behavior said she wouldn't come back, and although he did not understand her words, he knew her meaning.

After another soft peck, he stepped back and met her stunned gaze.

"You keep it then, Lala. And know that whatever happens...whatever happens...it's all right."

Lala took him in. "Lala da?"

He forced a smile. "You are Lala. And I am here for a reason. Maybe this is what I deserve for causing so much trouble. But I'm all right now. I'm not afraid anymore." He stole another kiss and rested his forehead against hers. "I'm not afraid anymore, Lala. So do not worry. Keep your air."

Her hands slid down his body until they came to rest on the bandage. Lala uprooted it and gasped. Daniel didn't bother looking—he was healed, he knew.

"Malace," she said. "Malace tu!"

The two men returned. Lala flinched, coming to her senses as she backed away. She turned. Whatever argument she made, it fell on deaf ears.