The City / My City 11

Maddie wailed with all her might and it wasn't only for herself. It took a hook to the shoulder to keep her and Gus from falling over that edge. She didn't appreciate Ray's rescue. She told herself to be thankful for it; if she went over this time, there'd be no Daniel at the bottom to scoop her up and dote. There'd be nothing and no one.

"Daniel...." And why should she cry? He was nothing but a brief encounter three months ago. Yet she wailed. Even after LOLA's voice confirmed that the repairs were at an end and Maddie was whole again, she lay crying.

It took another day for her to get a hold of herself. That was when Laura could stand to visit her.

"Five, how are you?" she asked.

Maddie returned the woman's gaze out of duty. She wanted to see Ray. She'd have to play this off if Ray showed up making fun of her for carrying on like this.

Laura wasn't alone; Priest came by. This was unexpected. The big smile plastered on his face made Maddie uneasy.

The man went so far as to hold her hand. "Thank you," he said, smiling. "I wasn't sure about the pairing but I know you're strong."

And then he walked out, leaving Maddie confused.

With some effort, Maddie pulled herself up to sit. She scanned the room, disappointed. No Ray.

"Well, this is a surprise," Laura said with a sigh. "I don't know where to start. Gus is in custody. You're actually tumor free...." She left the words to linger and said, "And fit."

Maddie blinked at her. "Fit? Healthy? I am healthy?"

"More than just healthy," Andy said, hurrying in. "We've compared your charts to ones taken last quarter and the results are incredible. We—"

Laura raised her hand to cut him off. "Not now, Darling."

Andy quieted. "Understood." He paused and asked, "You haven't told her?"

"No. Not yet."

"Oh. I...suppose I'll just go analyze more samples then, shall I?"

After he walked out, Maddie kept a close eye on Laura who watched the man's retreat. Maddie didn't know what to make of it but she came to one definite conclusion.

"Ray is going to kill you."

Laura's serious expression returned. "Ray's gone. She went after you without authorization. Rammed a hook straight through your shoulder to catch Gus and keep the both of you from toppling off that edge...." Laura hove a sigh—that seemed genuine at least. "...And was overrun by Vagrants. Gus taught them enough. We've found parts of the suit at our gate—as well as the helmet.

Maddie tried to rise but didn't have the strength. "What?"

"We have another staggering problem, Maddie," Laura said. "Priest is happy but he won't be when he realizes the paternity test didn't match—"

"Shut up." Maddie demanded, "Are you telling me no one went after Ray—your own sister?"

"Go after her? At night time in the Outer Limits with people who know how to take our suits off? You're outta your mind. Of course, we didn't go. The suits are weak in darkness for a reason—because we rarely use them then. What if they all notice that? What if they all realize that an offense at night might give them a snowball's chance in hell?"

The hum of her shout died down in time.

"I admire my sister. She copies you but she's not as smart as you—and not smart enough to know when to stop. That's why I was terrified when you said you had the tumors because I could imagine her going into the Outer Limits and sucking as much pollution up as possible just to join you. But she's not smart," Laura repeated. "And I can take comfort in knowing that she died the way she wanted to—in a fight, a fight to save you."

Maddie watched her bed, shattered. "I'm going after her."

"It's been two days. There is no going after her."

Crying didn't come easily to Maddie but something broke in her. Laura was right—this was the way Ray-Lyn wanted to go, fighting for every inch of life. But she wouldn't have left Maddie's body behind. And not for two days.

"Rest up, Five. You're gonna need it at the trial."

Maddie swallowed down her anger. "I want to go get her."

"As of now you're relieved of duty until we figure out what to tell Priest. Because he won't take this well. He's even picking out names. You did him wrong."

Picking up her head, Maddie puzzled about Laura's words. "He would understand me wanting to go."

"Maddie—Maddison. Where is your head? You promised to link up for a proper pairing. You don't understand the position you've put us in by getting pregnant by someone else. Why did you even agree?"

Maddie blinked at her. "What?"

Laura looked equally annoyed.

The words dawned on Maddie who whispered, "I'm not pregnant."

A shifting of the retractable monitor over her brought a gray picture to life.

"Tell that to this kid."

Maddie choked on her gasp. "That's somebody else's. I...."

Lights flashed above and an announcement sounded. "Attention, movement at the front gate. Volunteer identified. Attention...."

Laura spoke into a com by the door but despite the chaos around, Maddie only stared at that screen. She tugged at it, prompting it to guide toward her.

The picture moved. A cord traveled from the bottom of the monitor, disappearing under the sheets. Maddie rooted the fabric up to find the circular patch affixed to her stomach. She yanked it off. The screen went blank.

Mouth still hanging open, Maddie reattached it and flinched when the picture returned. She leaned in and examined the estimated conception.

Not long after returning from the Old City.

She felt sick.

"Daniel...."

"Get yer hands off me. I don' needa rest." That voice.

Maddie closed her eyes and said a silent thank you when a bloodied face wheeled past her door. The voice was unmistakable.

"Ray." It took a lot for Maddie to untangle herself enough to hurry to the door. Ray's complaints carried all this way.

Maddie pressed her forehead against the doorframe; something was right in the world—Ray was alive.

Alive.

When those thoughts fell to Daniel, Maddie took the shaky steps to head back to bed.

"Daniel...." She held her stomach but took her hand down. A part of him was still here. That calmed her but when she got back to bed, she took one heave and screamed.