Autism

So, what exactly is autism? How does it work?

I'm only 15, and I'm not that smart and by no means do I have all the answers, but I am autistic, so here's a few answers to what exactly autism is and how it affects people!

Before we start, though, I just want to mention some things. There is no right way to have it, it does affect us all differently, and we all label ourselves in different ways. I personally label myself as autistic- some other people might say they have autism, others still might say they're on the autism spectrum. That is all totally okay! You choose how you define and label yourself. You don't even have to tell people aside from medical professionals. Whatever works for you. In this book, though, I'll be using the term autistic. Do not come at me in the comments, you have been warned.

So, what is autism, exactly?
Autism spectrum disorder, or autism, is a neurodevelopmental delay experienced by a number of people around the world. Anyone can have it, no matter their race, gender, age, sexuality, social status, etc. So what does this mean?
Who knows!
There is no right or wrong answer to what autism looks like, because everyone has different experiences. For example, I can make myself maintain eye contact but prefer not to and it's difficult for me to do so. Another autistic might have no problem whatsoever with eye contact. They might like watery, sloppy slime with things in it- that can send me into sensory overload. I have trouble sticking to actual thorough routines, whereas they have to rigorously plan out their day and each interruption can send them into a shutdown or a meltdown. (There's a difference between the two, and a meltdown is not the same as a tantrum.)
It's called a spectrum for a reason.
This is where I leave you for now, dear reader. Stay home, stay safe, maintain social distancing, do good recklessly and have a genuinely awesome day.