24

The prison facility within the Blood Moon pack was nicer than some of the rooms that Kegan had been in and even lived in when surviving in his past packs.

Kegan was clutching Calix's hand tightly, trying to push away his nerves but finding himself unsuccessful. He couldn't help the dread of facing the person who attacked him for unknown reasons.

Tan trailed behind them, glancing around constantly as if someone was going to appear and attack Kegan. Even though they'd only just introduced themselves and were some kind of friend, as an Alpha and warrior of the pack, Tan felt obligated to protect the Luna.

"Through here," Calix said, opening the door to the building and showing the other two to a small room. "He's in here."

Kegan took a deep breath and nodded, tightening his grip on Calix's hand for a second before letting go. He didn't want to look weak and afraid.

Calix seemed to understand and opened the door, walking inside before inviting Kegan and Tan to follow.

The prisoner sat in a chair, hands cuffed to a table in front of him. The material was laced with silver to weaken the wolf, but from the look on his face, he'd fight back and try to escape if the opportunity arose.

"Do you recognize him?" Calix asked Kegan, standing protectively in front of his mate and flashing his teeth at the restrained man.

Kegan shook his head. "He smells like the North River pack, but I don't know his face," he murmured, heart pounding against his chest.

Calix nodded, glaring. "Who sent you?" he asked bitterly.

The prisoner stayed silent, looking almost amused by Calix's anger. He smirked and and looked over at Kegan, who was still mostly hidden by Calix.

"Answer me!" Calix snarled, using his Alpha tone.

It didn't do anything to the prisoner or Tan, but it made Kegan wince and shrink behind Calix even further, trembling slightly.

"I'll only speak with the Omega," the prisoner said, menacingly peering at Kegan.

"That's not happening," Calix said, wrapping an arm around his mate. "You are going to talk to all of us. Now."

The prisoner shook his head. "I'm not the one who wants answers," he said matter-of-factly. "If you want me to speak, you leave and I talk with the Omega."

Kegan stepped out from behind Calix, ignoring Calix's attempts to cover him and protect him. "Why does it matter?" he asked the prisoner. "Anything you tell me will get repeated anyway."

"So he does speak," the prisoner sneered, making Calix growl once again. "Oh calm down, Alpha. It's not like I'm knotting him in front of you."

That only made Calix snarl once again, more severely this time, and Kegan blushed and hung his head.

"Don't speak to him that way!" Calix growled aggressively, desperately wanting to challenge the other Alpha.

The prisoner smiled. "I wasn't talking to him, Alpha."

"I'll talk to him," Kegan said suddenly, making everyone fall silent and gape at him. "If he's restrained, I can talk to him. He can't touch me and I can leave if I get upset."

Calix shook his head. "That's not happening."

"Why not?!" Kegan asked, unsure why Calix wasn't more willing to compromise.

"We aren't going to bend over and obey an Alpha from the North River pack!" Calix snapped, crossing his arms and glaring at their enemy. "I don't want you in here alone with him."