Chapter 20: Are dreams real?

Quads sore from swim practice, I amble down the hallway to philosophy class, rereading the wall murals that made such a first impression last week. "What came first, the chicken or the egg?" "Is there life after death?" "What is reality?"

That's what I hope to find out.

I enter the classroom and Professor Hailey greets, "Hi, Jessie."

I feel a surge of pride. "Good morning." I hurry to a desk in the second row, taking out my binder and pen just as she perches on the edge of her desk to start the lecture.

"After the last class, many of you approached me and said you were very excited about the lecture." She smiles. "I'm so glad to hear it had an impact on you. This makes it all the more important that I tell you something."

I sit up straighter, a move mimicked by many of my curious classmates.

Professor Hailey clasps her hands in front of her. "Philosophy is the kind of subject that gets people excited. It makes you see more, it broadens your mind, and suddenly you want to tell everyone what you've learned."

Like dreaming with Chris.

"But people may not want to hear what you have to say. Learning is a process. Sometimes you need to experience something firsthand before you can understand it, or even believe it, or so much as consider it."

Would I believe you could interact with someone in your dreams if Chris and I weren't doing it every night?

No.

"Remember how the people in Plato's allegory of the cave didn't know that the shapes on the wall were only shadows of the truth, how they couldn't see reality because it was too bright for their closed minds?"

I sigh, thinking of how Chris and I can dream together. Who would believe us? And of those who do, who would leave us alone?

"How could they know the shadows weren't the real thing if they had never seen the real thing for themselves? They'd have to open their minds to recognize reason, open their eyes to see the truth. Opening your mind is a difficult thing to do, but it leads to an incredible quality of life. I promise each and every one of you that I will do my best to pull the wool from over your eyes."

Hope bubbles in my chest again. Answers. The truth.

Professor Hailey laughs. "It's so quiet in here! I didn't mean to frighten you. What happened to the chattering students I had last week?" That comment elicits a few chuckles. "I'm happy to encourage your curiosity and participation. I merely wish to remind you that the people in this room are willing participants. The ones outside may not be so open to discussion. Sometimes we feel comfortable carrying the same convenient beliefs and not questioning them. It may be in our nature."

Nature. I shiver. Is it human nature to dream with someone else? How much of this is natural and how much of it...isn't?

My stomach fills with an uncomfortable blend of emotions: warmth from feeling close to my mom in her favourite class, eagerness to having my mind blown like it was last week, and nervousness and excitement to learn what Professor Hailey might say about the nature of dreams. This emotional concoction continues to wreak havoc on my stomach as students swarm at Professor Hailey's desk after the lecture. I peek into the hall, feeling a wave of comfort when my eyes land on Chris. He's leaning against the wall, his hands in his pockets, his brow furrowed as he reads the philosophical messages.

"Chris."

He turns, sees me and smiles. "Jessie! How was class?" He pushes off the wall and walks towards me.