23 - A Way Back

Master Wu placed the small cup of Traveller's Tea on the dusty ground. They had all returned to the site of the crash, where all the remaining Kosmikiles waited sluggishly for their leader.

"If our hypothesis is correct, this will get you all back to your planet." Zane said assuringly to the group of aliens, who were patiently observing what was about to happen.

The ninja all stood far back from the broiling cup of tea; its steam lifting gracefully into the air, juxtaposing the dark ashy smoke from the crash. Master Wu backed away too, and gave a slow nod to Jupiter, who was wielding her unfamiliar staff, just a few feet away from the cup. 

Anxiously, the lilac ninja readied herself on the cold ground, and with her tight grip on her weapon, she exerted a powerful cloud of stardust, feeding it to her staff and hoping for a reaction. A swirling wind of cosmic matter surrounded her as her power lit up the dim land - in a flash, she pointed her staff at the cup of Traveller's Tea and released the immense collection of dust.

Sigma, Quentin, the ninja, and Kosmikiles all watched apprehensively, shielding their eyes from the luminous glare emanating from the girl's power. Moments passed before the stardust quickly extinguished; Master Wu's cup of tea was still on the ground, as calm as a lazy river. 

"Did...did it work?" Quentin mumbled into the silence. 

In an instant, a huge burst of energy broke out from the teacup and a large purple portal appeared from it. It was a dark void, yet it spun with radiant celestial colours. The remorseful aliens' eyes widened in amazement. They turned to Chief Sigma who stood with great dignity by the ninja. 

"It is time we leave." She announced to the Ninjago dwellers. 

"I didn't have a chance to say this formally but...I apologise for the damage I've caused - I was overcome with ambition..." Her eyes drifted to Jupiter, who was stood beside her fellow ninja.

 "...An attribute that my kind seem to forget to control." She admitted, remorse evident in her voice. 

"Take care of yourself, Jupiter. And the rest of you." She turned to her Kosmikile army and gestured them to the spiralling portal, where all but one were making their way home. 

Quentin hesitantly stood on the murky ground, timidly rubbing a burn on his arm. 

"Quentin, what's wrong?" Kai asked the alien, approaching him gently. 

The Kosmikile sighed, struggling to find the words;

"I've realised that...even though our planet is very sufficient and decent...after spending some time here, I'd much prefer staying in Ninjago." He said in a low voice. The ninja all looked at him with compassion.

Sigma walked over to her humble apprentice. She knelt down to his height and said with kind eyes;

"You never felt like you fitted in...did you?" She said softly. He nodded sheepishly in response. There was a small pause as they gazed at the ninja, who were stood quietly just a few feet away, watching. 

"I understand. If you feel that this place is better suited for you, then...you're free to stay, Quentin." She smiled genuinely, when he suddenly lunged in to hug the Chief. Sigma patted his head sympathetically and soon let go. 

"You sure you'll be alright without the other Kosmikiles?" Lloyd asked him, as they watched the Chief walk away through the portal. 

Quentin breathed a deep sigh and replied; 

"I'm sure I'll be fine."