Chapter Eleven

It's breakfast-time when I'm finally allowed out of the infirmary. I play the part of grateful patient, thanking Nurse Barrett profusely. She seems glad to be rid of me. Little does she know, she'll see me again soon.

My friends are delighted to have me back, though Sonny is furious that I'm the one who took the punch, not him. At least Gavin is in Isolation now. I hope he rots there.

The morning seems to drag by, impossibly slow, until I feel like I'm about to buzz out of my skin.

Realistically, I know that Roan isn't the sort of guy who will give up on me after one day, but at the same time I can't help being afraid that he will. I'm terrified that what we have is still too fragile, too breakable, and I don't even know what it is that we have.

As soon as lunch is over, I break away from my friends and hurry down to my little spot by the fence.

My heart feels like a wild bird in a cage, wings crashing against the bars of my ribs.

What if he doesn't come?

What if this doesn't really mean anything to him, after all?

I remind myself of the flower he gave me, but fear and uncertainty are chains around my neck, dragging me down. This territory is so new to me. I feel like I'm walking on ice, and I'm never sure if a misstep will shatter everything.

What if –

My heart soars.

Roan is sitting by the fence, his back a taut line, his profile pulled tight with worry, and he turns as I emerge through the bushes.

"Caia!" he exclaims, leaping to his feet. His eyes widen when he sees my face, then darken like gathering storm-clouds.

I have to admit – it's a hell of a bruise. Shades of red and purple circle my eye, which is swollen enough that I can only half-see out of it.

"Attractive, right?" I say, trying to make light of the situation.

Roan doesn't smile. "What the hell happened? Who did that to you?"

I explain.

Roan's expression gets even angrier and he clenches his fists, glaring in the direction of the CC.

"Bastard," he mutters.

I realise that he's still standing on the other side of the fence, and I'm back on the ice again, unsure if I should remind him he can crawl through the damaged part.

Wordlessly, I crouch down and pull the wire to one side. I can't always be afraid of taking steps.

Roan wriggles through the gap, and then he's touching my face, and it's so unexpected that I gasp. His hands are large enough to cup my face, and his palms are so warm on my skin.

I want him to hold me forever.

Gently, he tilts my head back, examining my eye.

There are still storm-clouds in his eyes, flashing angry lightning now.

"It's okay," I say.

"It really isn't."

His hands are still cupping my face, and I feel like my whole body is made of butterflies. I'm so close to him; all I have to do is lean in and we'll be sharing the same air.

My skin tingles with invisible sparks, like dancing stars.

"I may have a lead on the Trials," I whisper, because if I don't tell him now, I'll forget everything, even my own name.