Chapter Twelve

It's my very first kiss and it feel like sunlight, warm and golden, passing from his lips to mine.

Roan tastes like everything.

He tastes like the sky.

He tastes like forever and infinity and all the impossible reaches of the universe.

In this moment, we're made of the same air, the same breath, and my heart is full of exploding stars and blazing colours and beating wings.

Roan's hand slides into my hair, and he holds me like I'm something precious, and kisses me like I'm everything he's ever needed in his life.

When we pull apart, the world is spinning and I'm flooded with the feel of him.

My heart is full of Roan.

"Wow," I whisper, touching my lips.

"Wait, was that your first kiss?" Roan asks, his eyebrows shooting up.

I nod, and he smiles, a little uncertainly.

"Was it okay?"

In reply, I kiss him again. This time my hands are in his hair, pulling him against me, hard and hungry.

I feel like we've floated away to another world, drifted up to the sky, and nothing else exists.

"Roan," I whisper, rolling his name on my tongue.

He leans his forehead against mine, breathing heavily, and I know this moment can't last. I know that soon enough I'll have to go back to the CC, back to the dreary reality of my small world, but just for now, we have made our own world and it belongs entirely to us.

I'm going to stay as long as I can.

The next day I feel completely different. It was only a kiss, but it's changed everything, and even though I brushed my teeth last night, I swear I can still taste Roan, and it's like sunshine and beauty and rainbows rolling around on my tongue, better even than chocolate.

"Are you alright?" Taffy asks, peering over the edge of her bed at me.

"What do you mean?"

"You're lying in bed, grinning at the ceiling."

That only makes me grin more. "So?"

"Why so happy?"

"Why not?"

Taffy accepts that with a shrug.

We get up and head to the showers, and I feel like I'm walking on clouds the whole way.

Roan thinks I'm beautiful.

Roan kissed me.

And he's going to do it again.

And again.

And again and again and again.

Not even Cole could bring down my mood, but she's strangely quiet in the shower, head down, not looking at anyone.

I don't care why.

Nothing is going to sour today, not even the fact that I'll have to enact a potentially risky plan to get into Records.

I am determined.

There is fire beneath my skin.