fourteen

stella's pov:

"i'm sorry, but i have to do this." winters says, lifting up a shovel, and i shut my eyes tight and brace for impact. as the shovel smacks my head, i feel my brain shake, and everything around me becomes blurry. i'll be out by the time i get there.

-

"she's perfect. nice job ed."

"thanks. found her in an alley downtown. just wandering around by herself."

i hear two men talking in the background, and my eyes flutter open and see a lightbulb on a string just above me.

"shes waking up, grab the clothes." i hear an unfamiliar voice and look to my side and see a man. average build, probably 35-40. he has muscle, but i could definitely put up a fight.

he starts to undress me but i swear his hand away. "i can change myself." agent winters nods, and hands me a white tank top with grey shorts. as i slip off my heels, i take in my surroundings. i'm in a small room with a door, with the table i was laying on in the center of the room. grey walls, no windows.

once i'm changed, they direct me to another room, which has a camera and a laptop set up. "picture time." the unfamiliar says with a sly grin.

i feel like i'm in prison. he takes a frontal face picture, and then has me turn to the side, taking a picture of my side profiles. he then scoots back and takes a full body picture, before grabbing me by the shoulders and directing me out of the room.

he pushes me down a hallway with cages. as i peer into them as i pass by, i see a lot of girls, probably around 12, before i reach my cell. he unlocks the door and shoved me in, locking the door quickly behind me.

i examine my cell. very plain. there's a toilet in the corner, and a mattress on the floor. i lay down on the mattress, rubbing my temples in an attempt to subside the headache i received earlier.

"what's your name?" the girl across from me asks, leaning against the back wall of her cell, her eyes drilling into me.

i sit up and give a fake name, knowing that i'm undercover. "macie. you?"

"kayla. how'd you wind up here? i went outside of a club for air while my friend went to the bathroom. i was hit over the head with a shovel. next thing i knew my clothes were being ripped off of me." she mumbles, with no emotion.

i respond. "pretty much same. i was outside of a club in an alley. i went out to get some air, and then i got snuck up on from behind. how long have you been here?"

"what day is it?" she asks, genuinely trying to figure it out.

"may 26."

"well, i got taken on may 2nd. wow, i've been in here a lot longer than i thought. they've only showcased me 3 times. i've been bid on, but never sold."

"oh." that's all i could manage to get out. i don't really know how to talk to this girl. i haven't looked much into human trafficking circles, but i understand them enough. i mean i had to, otherwise i wouldn't be in this operation.

"you'll probably be showcased soon. they showcase all of the newbies within at least 2 days." kayla answers, moving to her mattress. "i'm going to sleep now." she mutters, closing her eyes as she lays down.

i nod slightly and lay down myself. i shut my eyes and wonder if i'm going to make it out of this. is the team working on this right now? are they on their way?

-

i'm awoken from my sleep by a man dragging me by my feet out of my mattress. how long did i sleep? i try to grab the side of the door, but he bangs it shut on my hand, crushing my fingers.