Chapter Eleven - Max POV

I was growing to like being a merman and swimming with Lilith and her friends. I would still gladly give up my tail for legs in the water but it was calming down here.

We were on our second day of travel heading for pit number two, my second chance at finding the sea witch. I was impatient to get there.

"How long will it be till we get there Pearl?" I asked.

"Well we should be there before sun high." She responded.

I turned and looked at the sky through the water. The sun was fully above the horizon. It was probably around 8:00 a.m. We could probably search the next pit and be moving onto the next pit, before it started becoming dark.

We didn't talk much this time. The day before we had talked about all there really was to talk about. Swimming in silence we soon made it to the next pit. I swam forward to take a look this time.

"There isn't even a cave in this one." I told Pearl and Lilith.

Lilith and Pearl joined me at the edge of the pit.

"A cave isn't needed, just a bed, food and some form of shelter." Pearl said.

The pit we were at was a circular shape. At the bottom it was filled with kelp and seaweed. To the left of the pit was a flattened area.

Lilith also seemed to notice it. "Hey, what's that over there?" Pointing to the same area I was looking at.

"It looks like a bed." Pearl said as she looked at it with us.

"Let's check it out!" And with that Lilith pushed herself towards the bed.

Pearl and I followed her. As we got closer I could see a broken basket as well as some empty and broken glass bottles. I took a closer look at the bottles.

"I think this is from the sea witch." I thought aloud.

"Well then she should be nearby." Lilith said as she swam to my right side.

"So we should get going then." Pearl told us as she swam up.

We followed her as she swam up and I noticed it was almost noon. She stopped and looked around before heading slightly to the left. I turned back towards the village and saw it was only a small spec on the horizon. As we swam we shared some small talk which made the time fly.

This pit was shallow but had a cave. From the spot we were at we couldn't see the back wall of the cave. Hope swelled inside of me.

"Come on!" I happily cried.

I pushed myself off the ledge and towards the cave. Getting to the cave in a flash I started checking around. There was a large bolder that stuck out of the wall on the right side with another smaller pile of rocks in front of it with algae on top. There was another bed to the right but it was far back into the cave.

Near the bolder was more broken bottles and even a stone bowl with kelp in it with a rock on top. I saw a weirdly flat rock on the bolder table. Swimming towards it I saw that Pearl and Lilith had come up behind me and were at the mouth of the cave.

The flat rock was a forearms' length across and half of a forearms' length in height. When I took a closer look at it I realized it was a map.

"Guys, I found a map."

Soon Pearl and Lilith were at either side of me. The map was marked using ground up seaweed. There was an 'X' closer to the top right corner of the map. The rest of the map had symbols I couldn't understand but I didn't care for them.

"Do you think we should go there?" I asked pointing to the 'X'.

"Sure." Lilith said.

"Hey we have a map now!" Pearl said.

And again we were off, this time following the map. It was starting to get dark, at the next point we could we would have to stop.

"What do you think is at the 'X'?" Lilith asked.

"I'm hoping the sea witch."

"True, but... I'm also hoping that it's something cooler!"

"Like what?" I asked looking sideways at her.

"Like a, like a, like a Kraken!" She cheered.

"Cute response." I didn't realize I thought it till after I said it.

Wait, do I think she's cute? No, I don't, it was just a funny and cute response.

"Well I wanna see a Kraken. What if the Kraken, or a baby Kraken, Is the sea witch's pet." Her eyes were bright as she said this.

I just laughed in response.

~

Soon we passed a rock outcrop sticking out of the sand. The entrance had some kelp covering it. In agreement to stop here for the night we soon had our beds set up and were eating dinner of kelp and a small amount of fish. Sharing a simple goodnight we all settled into our beds.

I woke up in a sweat, well as much as you can sweat underwater, from a nightmare. It was just the day I was transformed but instead of keeping it a secret, people found out and I was sperated from my mom.

I looked to my left and saw both Pearl and Lilith were still sound asleep.

I guess Lilith is a little cute, especially like that.

She was close to being curled up and had her hands neatly placed under her head. I laid back down, this time facing Lilith, and slowly drifted off the sleep.

~Thanks for reading!
Sorry this is a bit late today, hoped you enjoyed!
Enjoy the story :)~