Chapter Thirteen

We all just watched as the whale surfaced for air, and then breached the water, like it knew we were watching it. We all surfaced to watch as it just about, played in the waves. We didn't say anything, just watched.

When it stopped playing Pearl slowly headed towards the whale. Max and I followed her but from a tail length away. Where we finally stopped we could reach out a hand and rest it on the whale's side.

And that's what I did. I reached my hand out and placed it on it's side.

Max stayed at my side while Pearl swam towards the face of the whale. We all swam along side the beautiful giant.

At one point Pearl turned and called to us, "I need you two up here!"

Max and I ducked underwater and swam to her. The whole time we swam I kept my hand on the whale.

"What's wrong Pearl?" I asked when we were with her.

"I know how to communicate with the whale but I don't have the voice for it."

"What does that mean?" Max asked.

"I need a deep voice to take it to take us closer to the "X" but my voice can't go as deep as it needs to."

"Wait, are we riding the whale!" I cried. I looked over at my hand, still resting on the whale and smiled. "I wonder if the whale has a name."

"Probably not." Pearl told me. "Anyways, do you think you could try to talk with it Lilith?" She hopefully looked at me.

I was there for the whale talking days, I could do this. "Sure. What should I say."

I did as Pearl told me but it didn't work. My voice wasn't deep enough. After we stopped trying Max said, "You can speak whale?"

"Yeah. We didn't evolve with and around them but we've learned that when your nice to them they'll let you ride their backs."

"That's cool. I wish I could speak whale." Max slightly mumbled.

Did he like the ocean now? Was he OK with his fate? But that wasn't the only thing on my mind while I listened.

"Max, how would you like to speak whale?" I looked at him with the same smile Pearl gave me.

"What do you mean?" Max asked as Pearl looked at me, puzzled by what I was implying.

"You voice can go as deep as we need it. Your normal voice is almost the right pitch." I looked from Pearl and Max and saw they got it now.

"You're right! Max could do it for us!" Pearl cheered.

So we taught Max whale. He caught on to it surprisingly quick. And soon we were sitting on the whale's back. Max and I were on the middle of it's back while Pearl was closer to the head.

"I think if this whale had a name it would be Wave." I thought aloud.

"Why Wave?" Max asked.

We were deeper than before but above us we could still make out the surface.

Pointing up at the surface I said, "Wave fits 'cause this whale flows in the same way the waves do." I let my hand drop. "Just kinda going with what it's told, by the wind or anything else.'

"Huh, I've never thought about the waves in that way." Max looked up at the waves, probably seeing them in the same way I did.

It wasn't even long before Pearl told us it was I time to leave the whale. We all slipped off but I headed for Wave's head. I rested my hand above his eye before saying, as best as I could in whale, "Thank you."

I watched as Wave swam off, small bubbles coming from the blowhole. And like that, it was just the three of us again. I swam back over to Max and Pearl. I looked at the surface again and saw it was getting a little darker. The sun was still shining, just not as bright.

We agreed to swim for a little longer before settling down. So, with Pearl in the lead we swam and swam and swam. When it was dark we still didn't have a place to stay the night, so we kept swimming. My tail was just starting to get tired when sand come rising from below us, and we saw it.

A kelp forest.

"Yes!" I cheered, speeding towards it.

Pearl and Max were close behind me. Entering the forest we searched for a clearing to lay in. Max found one and it was a descent size but we would still need a single bed.

The clearing Max found was completely hidden when you're outside of the forest but sitting in it you could see through the kelp to the water around us.

After setting up the bed Pearl told us that she needed to get more kelp for us. We told her to be careful and yell if she needed us. Then it was me an Max. And that's when he told me.

"Lilith, I don't know if I fully want legs and only legs again." He blurted out.

"What?" I turned to him, confused.

"I didn't realize how much I would love it down here. From the dolphins to Wave. I don't know if I can give it up." He whispered the last bit to the point where I could barely hear him.

"Hey, we aren't at the sea witch yet. You don't have to decide yet."

"Yeah, your right." He looked down at the ground.

Just then Pearl come through the kelp into the clearing. We ate together, not talking much, which gave me more time to gather my thoughts.

I realized that I would miss Max if he only stayed on land. Yeah I could see him when I went to school but what reason would we have to talk. The times we swam together were some of the best swims I'd had.

As I drifted off to sleep that night I just kept hoping Max would choose to stay half-mer.

~Thanks for reading!
What do you think Max will choose? Sea or land?
Hope you enjoyed :)~