Chapter Fifteen

As I watched Max I couldn't believe what had happened barely an hour ago. Max told me he loved me, I realized that I myself loved him, we kissed, and now I was watching him get his legs, and only his legs back.

My heart ached. I understood where he was coming from but I would miss him dearly.

"Yes, me." Max said. "And I want my legs back."

She looked at him for a moment before saying, "It can't be reversed."

"What?!" We all cried.

"Your stuck like this unless you use another spell. What that spell is I don't know." She turned her back on us to mess with her bottles again.

Max swam backwards towards us and took me in his arms. I hugged him back as he took in the fact that, at the moment I was still at risk. My head was turned into the cave and I watched as Pearl swam forward.

"What kind of sea witch are you? Me and my friends have been traveling for days to find you. You know how many caves we checked? How far from home we are?" Pearl was fuming.

Max had turned his head to watch. That's when something crazy happened. The sea witch turned around once more and locked eyes with Pearl. Her eyes looked angry before they softened.

She looked Pearl up and down before asking, "What's your name?"

"That's such a weird question." I said. I was ignored.

"Um, Pearl. Why?"

The sea witch gasped. She looked like she was ready to cry.

"My daughter, it's really you." It was barely audible but Pearl sure heard it.

That's when I realized how close Pearl and the sea witch looked alike. It would make more sense that this mermaid was Pearl's mother.

"Wait, Pearl's the daughter you said you were protecting by turning me into a merman?" Max said. He had broken away from our hug but kept his arm around me.

"Yes. I see now that it was for nothing. You're still near her and didn't run and hide from the sea."

"Why would I? Even if I didn't meet Lilith I still would've tried to find you. It would take forever but I'd do it."

"Hang on, stop everything. I'm your daughter? My mom isn't my mom?"

"Mom? What do you mean mom."

"I have a mom at home, as well as a dad."

"Oh."

We were silent for awhile.

"We should let them talk." I whispered to Max.

He shook his head yes in response.

"We'll uh, let you two to it." Max said.

Together we swam out of the cave. The sharks didn't stop us, probably because we were leaving.

"We should look for a fast way to get home." I thought aloud.

"Yeah."

After splitting up we searched. Soon Max joined me saying he found nothing in his section so we searched together. We swam around to one end of the ravine when we found it. It was a current that looked like it would take us, at least, close to the village.

"I think we found something."

"Definitely." Max replied.

We started swimming back towards the cave when Pearl came speeding out. I stopped her and asked, "Hey what's wrong?" She looked like she would cry if she was on land.

"It doesn't matter. All you need to know is that sea witch deserves her fate."

Max and I looked at each other in concern before telling Pearl we found a way to get home. We lead her to it and she swam in almost immediately. Max and I were close behind her. While in the current we didn't have to do much other than keep ourselves in the current.

We left Pearl alone by herself while we talked behind her.

"So is there a word that means being together on land?"

"Well usually if a girl and a guy are dating the girl is called the 'girlfriend' while the guy is called the 'boyfriend'."

"That's ten times cooler than in the water. It would just be considered a family before marriage."

"Well that's one thing sea and land have in common. Marriage."

"There's marriage on land?"

"Yep. It's what's after dating or the girlfriend/boyfriend stage.

"Wow. Um, so are we girlfriend and boyfriend now?" I wondered aloud.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what's happening."

I pushed myself into him. I would love to be his girlfriend. He wrapped his arms around me and we kissed again. This time it was longer than the first.

It was like being stung by a jellyfish but, enjoyable. We pulled away and I wrapped my arms around his neck. He flipped himself into his back and pulled me into him. His arms rested on my waist. I don't know when it happened but I fell asleep on him.

~

"Lilith, wake up."

I opened my eyes to see Max. I realized what had happened and pushed away from him, embarrassed. He just laughed at my reaction.

I started looking for Pearl when Max said, "She went home and told me to let you know that she left."

"Oh, I hope she's OK. That was probably a lot for her to take in."

"Yeah. I don't know how I'd react."

We then just sat in silence, both of us trying to imagine ourselves in Pearl's place.

"Well I don't have to be home until tomorrow morning so want to hang out?"

"Yeah, just after I tell my parents I'm back."

He followed me until we reached my house. He waited outside as I dropped my bag off in my room, told my parents I'm home and then that I'm going out again.

We decided to go the cave I first showed him. As we went inside I remembered the first time I took him here. I smiled at how this time we were dating when the first time we were only friends.

We sat down in the same spot as last and just relaxed. Mostly we enjoyed each other's company, talking only a couple of times. At one point I didn't like how far apart we were so I pushed myself over to him.

He wrapped his arm over my shoulders and pulled me closer to him. I could definitely get used to this.

~Thanks for reading!
The next chapter will be what happened in the sea with cave in Pearl's POV.
Enjoy the story :)~