Chapter 3

(>> Kind of important!

-- I'm changing timelines a little bit so I recommend reading this little note before this chapter or else you might get confused. I did try to explain it in this chapter as well, but this is just to back it up a little.

Pepper and Tony got together just at the end of Iron man one, also 2008 in this AU (alternate universe) but broke up at the end of Iron man 2, 2010. They were on a break for two years but now 2012, in which this story takes place , they are trying to make amends. I'm trying to go along with the order of the movies but I had to change a few details to make this work a little better.)

The next day everyone was up early and getting ready for the press conference that afternoon.

Security was loading the press into the room and Happy made sure all was safe.

Two minutes before the start of the meeting Tony walked in to to the little waiting area, where the other Avengers were already waiting.

"Look who's early" Clint laughed.

"Trying to be fashionably late, Stark?" Natasha said, crossing her arms.

"You got it" The man smiled. He had an easy expression on his face this afternoon. He was wearing an expensive suit, along with yet again some colored glasses. He had his hands in his pockets and was rocking on his feet a little.

Before anyone could say anything more , Pepper walked out of the conference room and addressed everyone.

"Okay guys, everyone is ready and waiting for you" Pepper said while holding the big wooden door open.

They all stood up, Tony being one of the last to enter the room. Before he walked into the room he stood in front of Pepper, but didn't say anything at first. There was some tension going on, but no one dared to say or do anything. Tony looked at her with a gentle smile, but remained silent. He looked like he wanted to say something but was scared to say it. Pepper looked at him almost the exact same way. She sighed a little before looking down and meeting Tony's eyes again with a kind and nervous smile.

"Thank you Pep." Tony said softly, almost in a whisper and walked further into the room, followed by Natasha.

Everyone was aware of the fact that Tony and Pepper were on a break. The shenanigans that had taken place two years ago put a strain on their relationship, causing the breakup.

As far as the others were aware, their relationship was on the mend, but nothing was settled yet. Tony however, still looked madly in love.

The room was big and very modern looking. At one end of the room stood a long table, facing the crowd of reporters from all over the world.

People were talking and cameras were flashing, filling up the room with sound and lights. Pepper stepped in the room confidently and addressed everyone, explaining that the meeting would begin soon while also asking for respect.

As soon as Pepper stepped aside, many hands shot up in the air and people started shouting names. So much for asking for respect.

Pepper ignored this and pointed to someone in the front row.

The tall man stood up and started the conference "Hello, I'm Jack from CNN. Mr. Stark I was wondering, why did you decide to let the so called 'Avengers' move into the previously called Stark tower? Is there something going on? And has it something to do with Iron man?"

Tony reached forward to lower the microphone in front of him, when Natasha noticed a strange mark on his hand. She didn't get the time to look at it longer, as Stark quickly pulled away his hand as if noticing her stare.