Chapter 10

We were running away from them. Our hover boots suddenly ran out of battery. They needed charging. We were stuck in Romania the houses were destroyed except for some which seemed to be less wrecked. We went in one. The house from outside was less wrecked, it was all wrecked from the inside. We found a big bed for us to sleep it had its one of its legs broken. So, I told Isabel to manage a place to sleep and cook something and I was off to charge the hover boots. There were long electric lines crossing from the front of the house. I had no idea how to connect the boots to them without cords. Also reducing the current was a factor I had to control. I was thinking of ideas. I took the high voltage line and plugged it straight into the mainframe of the house. Suddenly the light which was in the main porch turned on. I switched it off reducing attention. It was about 4 in the noon and to completely charge the boots we would have to stay there for 9 hours. So, we had no other option than to stay the night. As soon as Isabel took out the other 3 legs of the bed and balanced it. I went to the kitchen and searched for a first aid box I couldn't find one so I looked in the bathroom and found it there. I took it up to Isabel. She had a long cut from her back arm to her wrist thank God it was not deep it was just a long cut and other small ones. I cleaned it with some cotton and antiseptic. I asked, "are you alright?" she said, "yes" "did you get hurt somewhere else?" "No." "nice thinking I guess the fire did scare them" "yeah it was just a fear response" I said "I better charge these up" tapping the boots. I picked them up and took them to a cabled socket and plugged them in. It did seem suspicious to me that she lit the fire yet not knowing what harm would reach them. So, I ignored that thought. I came back to Isabel she said "dinner is almost done but there's one thing" I asked her "what?" she said "this is our last meal" "don't worry we'll find something." Losing that bag was a big mistake it had all the stuff what we needed for the trip till china. Because of that we have to stay here one night just to charge 2 boots. I searched the fridge, the houses around and every single drawer but didn't find a lot of food. Somethings were gone bad and the others might've been a little too unhygienic. Cans opened, bread on the floor, packets soaked in the clogged sink for I don't know how long. Only enough to last us 3 more days I took it up to her and told her that I found this. She was lying on the bed. Her hand was still stinging even after the bandage. She said, "that's all?" "yeah everything else was either expired or rat food" she replied, "ohh okay no problem we still can make it back to my base and get some food from there. I might have some."

We were sitting next to the pots in which we were cooking the food. When I asked her, "what do you think the infected were doing in the church? Throwing stuff in the big underground hole?" "I don't know. I think they were throwing stuff they wrecked into the hole like shattered pieces of glass or some building boulders" "that could make sense but why would they throw food in the hole? They didn't wreck food what does that mean?" she said, "maybe they were filling the hole for something" we were talking about the church it seemed very weird that they were filling the hole. For a few moments we sat silently. Looking at the pot. The food was almost cooked Isabel turned the fire off and was about to pour it in our separate dishes when I said, "wait... your hand. Let me help" grabbing the pots handle. Isabel let go of the pot I poured us the same amount of soup she took out the bread from the packet and gave me one. We were having our food when I asked her how did she think the fire would help she replied, "I didn't think the fire would help. I just thought if they come close to us, we can burn them and scare them from the fire. I didn't think that it would affect their eyes" "can I ask you something?" she said, "sure" I asked her, "what were your first thoughts standing there facing your death you didn't seem scared" "I wasn't scared because I knew you would save us out either way even If we didn't have the fire or anything." I smiled. I looked at her wound it was trickling. I grabbed another bandage and wrapped it around her hand. I went to the other side of the bed and lying down I asked, "are you a kicker?" and laughed "no I'm not I just roll around and sometimes sleep walk" I said, "WHAT!" surprised. I told her, "the humans have evolved soo much that there is no sleep walking gene left you might be the first one since the late 87 you are a lucky girl where did you get it?" I guess I'm not great with humor "it's hereditary I get it from my mum who got it from her dad who got it from his dad" I giggled, I asked her about stuff she knew about the infected she replied, "well you see they can't see us. They only sense movements and have a very good hearing unlike humans they can hear above range" I listened patiently. These were not just plain words to me these were 100-dollar pointers. At the end I told her it's getting late. I checked my watch it was past 11:30. We had a long journey planned to Niger and we needed some rest.