Chapter 13

We were on the boat, going away from the cliff. We had something to eat. To continue the rest of the journey. We were half way to Tunisia, in the middle of the sea. It was hot. We were on the burning hot deck, under the canvas which was wet with the sea water we threw on it for cooling. We were talking that if we reach the Niger base, we would have an awesome story to tell. The water was as still as that of a frozen lake. The boat was moving slowly we had less fuel. The indicator light was blinking we were almost out of fuel and we couldn't risk to be stuck in the middle of the sea nowhere to go.

I knelt down to check in the storage section for fuel cans. I looked up at her and asked, "how long have you been together? You and Your fiancé?" she looked at me smiling, "we were together for about 3 years and he proposed just a month ago we were living together but then I haven't seen him in 18 years in fact I haven't seen any normal man in 18 years" I snickered, "18 years living all alone doesn't that bum you out even thinking about it?" "well yeah now that I've met a normal person, I realize that living alone stinks" she chuckled but something inside her chuckle was different. She pets her dog, "so think it this way if you wouldn't have found me what would you do?" she replied, "if I wouldn't have found you. I would've left the base forever and be found by you, because honestly living alone is tough especially taking care of your health" "yeah I can see" looking at her body, I laughed. She also laughed and threw a plastic stick at me I dodged it Maxie went after it. We looked around to see what was he doing with the stick, for a moment I thought she didn't understand the joke. I thought she was about to get angry at me but then she realized it was a joke. "well no kidding you seem perfectly fit" she replied wagging her hand, "ha-ha I know you don't mean it I mean guys like you won't even look at a girl like me because I'm too fat" "hey. No, I would date you you're not fat...." I realized that I had said something inappropriate. We had a little eye contact but embarrassed we both turned around. We were smiling. I took control of the boat while she was at the back enjoying the cool breeze which was because of the air coming through the wet canvas. I took out my journal and started writing in it all I could see written in my journal were mostly my thoughts about Isabel and how she was in my perspective. I could see one more thing, the nonstop attacks of the infected after we left her base. I played with Maxie for a while he was such an active dog and he was the cutest dog; I had seen in decades well... he was the only dog I saw in decades.

We reached the shore. It started becoming shallower and shallower so our boat stopped. striking the ground, tilting the boat up. We got off the boat on the ground which was moist. It was just a tad bit cooler than on the boat Maxie was leading us. We walked straight for half a mile trying not to start any more conversation. Suddenly we heard movement in the bushed. We were alert and pulled our weapons out. Unexpectedly From nowhere Maxie got shot. We went to grab him, picked him up and saw a tranquilizer dart stuck to his leg. He was in sleep soon after we picked him up. Isabel was shot on her arm. It was the same dart. I caught her as she was about to fall. Kept Maxie on the ground slowly. I looked around I saw nothing. Isabel's hand was dangling in the air. I heard a blow dart fire again this time it hit the back of my neck. I suddenly grabbed the dart and pulled it out. I was too late the chemical was ejected in my body. My vision started to get unclear my eyes started closing everything was a blur and I started falling to the ground. Me and Isabel struck the ground at the same time. I had a little of my eye open. I saw some people approaching us. They grabbed Maxie up and put Isabel over their shoulder. I saw this just before I fell unconscious.