xvii. read receipts

LENNON TOSSED HER PHONE ONTO THE TABLE out of frustration upon reading the 'read receipt' that had appeared on her last message to Harry

LENNON TOSSED HER PHONE ONTO THE TABLE out of frustration upon reading the 'read receipt' that had appeared on her last message to Harry. She felt guilty for allowing it to get to her, affecting her lunch date with Rose as they shared a panini in The Dog House during the brunette's allocated hour break. Try as she did to listen to her friend's tale of the woes of primary school that given week, Lennon couldn't stop herself from overthinking the sudden shift in her relationship with Harry.

He had been avoiding her for two weeks now - the longest they had gone without properly chatting, excluding his trip to America and even then he was texting her as much as possible. Harry was suddenly cold with her, coming up with excuses every time she proposed they meet up and even going so far as to use periods at the end of his text messages. Truthfully, it hurt her feelings more than she liked to admit, leaving her in a sour mood since it began. His latest excuse was the last straw, as she vowed to stop reaching out to him from now on until he came back to her.

"It's him, isn't it?" Rose nodded knowingly towards Lennon's phone, which had been haplessly placed upside down on their table. "Is he still being a dickhead?"

"I just don't know what I've done wrong," Lennon huffed, leaning back in her chair with her arms crossed and feeling a sudden wash of emotion, "like if I've done something, fair enough but he's not telling me if I have. He's after telling me he's busy with the Sidemen boys this weekend, and maybe that's true but he hasn't been that busy since I met him."

"Oh, babe," Rose grimaced apologetically, "Ethan and I have plans to go to the zoo this weekend... but maybe it's only some of the Sidemen boys that are busy?"

Lennon felt her stomach drop at her friend's words, they served as further confirmation that Harry truly had been blowing her off. Their 'relationship' never had official labels or promises, but she still felt utterly used by him - she had assumed their friendship at least meant enough to him for him to respect her.

"Oh," was all she could bring herself to say, her mind battling between being furious and wanting to cry. Harry had been the happiest part of her days lately, and the weeks felt so much more cold and empty without his presence.

"Fuck him, yeah?" Rose prompted, "do you want to come to the zoo with Ethan and I?"

"I don't wanna crash your date..."

"It's not a date, we're just mates and not the type of mates you and Harry are-" the blonde cut herself off when she realised her words would likely serve to upset her friend further, cupping a hand over her forehead as she edged backward into her seat in shame.

"So that's why you've had a sour face for the past two weeks," Maggie called out, having heard their entire conversation from the counter she was seated at. The cafe was practically empty that day except for them, but Lennon didn't mind that her boss occasionally joined in on their chats.