Chapter Four

"What can I do?" Alexander said, standing and crossing around the large oak table.

"Maybe I can help with something," Marjorie said. "I'm quite good at rough living and 'making do'. Alex can assist me in the kitchen, I'm sure. He made me supper and it was quite delicious. When do we leave?"

"All right, so we've got four. On a journey. Wait – who said we were going somewhere?" Lizzy exclaimed.

Marjorie and Alexander exchanged a glance. "It's kind of obvious, honey. You're carrying a bag that is most likely filled with everything you need, you ate on the run – there are crumbs all down your front – and you brought someone who I've never met before. Also, I know your past."

Lizzy nodded slowly. "That – makes – perfect sense."

"Goodness, she really knows you – Lizzy." Finn said, his voice full of purpose.

Lizzy quickly brought her thoughts back under rein, and for the first time, she remembered she had lied to Finn about her name. He seemed not to mind too much, though. "Um, this is Finn, he saved my life and he's coming with us – Finn, this is Marjorie, and Alexander." She gestured to each of them in turn.

"Nice to meet you," Finn shook their hands and grinned. "I've never been on an adventure, but I've got a feeling that this one is going to last for the rest of my life."

"From what I've heard, Finn, your life so far has just been one long adventure. You seem to attract them." Lizzy smiled.

"Nah, it's just my personality. I make everything an adventure. I'm naturally – naturally – my ambience is just... oh, never mind." He laughed at himself. Marjorie raised an eyebrow at him.

"I don't see how this young'un is going to help us at all but I'm guessing he can't not be a part of it at this point."

Lizzy shook her head. "All right, we need a plan. First, somewhere to stay – any ideas?"

"Right here?" Marjorie suggested. Alex sighed. "Marjorie..."

"I'll take that as a no."

"Um, my older brother – two kids, he has a farm, but his wife passed away over three years ago. He's only twenty-two years old, ten years my senior – he got married young, when they were only fifteen. Anyway, I don't think he would be opposed to more help, especially seeing his young brother again. I ... left when I was nine." Finn rubbed the back of his neck as he finished speaking uncomfortably.

Alex nodded, deep in thought. "That sounds good. Lizzy?"

"Where does he live?"

"Northern Ireland."

Lizzy pursed her lips. That was where her brother was stationed – or, near it, anyway. Too close for comfort. They were just outside the border into Northern Ireland and had spies all along the coast.

"Lizzy?" Marjory searched her face for a hint on what she was thinking. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine. I just need a moment to think."

"Isn't that where your brother and his band of –" Alexander began.

"Yes, it is." Lizzy stopped him before he could get any farther. She knew Alex's description of them wasn't going to be anything good.

If they went, all of them would have to be on their guard, even more so than in any part of London. They would be endangering a whole society, villages – but that would happen no matter what. This whole thing had to be covert, and even if they were caught, not appear on the records.