Chapter Twenty

The lighting in this room was better. Across the room, Although it was summer, there was a fire crackling in one corner, and the sound soothed Lizzy's jumbled emotions, allowing her to think more clearly. She had always loved the smell of wood burning. It reminded her of the only home she'd ever had – in Germany, with her godmother.

Before MNT had ruined it for her. She resolved again to take him down. Maybe coming here wasn't a bad idea – maybe it'd help her get revenge on him for her family. Revenge...

Lizzy had forgotten the promise she'd made to herself all those weeks ago; the promise to let go and forgive. Now, she only could think one thing: how close MNT was to her, a fact which both terrified and exhilarated her.

But mostly terrified.

She felt the smooth piece of glass against her ankle and wondered how discreetly she could get it out, or how fast if MNT or Liam tried to kidnap her. Oh, why had she thought it was a good idea to come here? Liam had acted more confident when approaching this house, something Lizzy should have realized meant he had backup inside the house and his plan was almost complete. She resisted the temptation to stomp her foot in frustration – why must she always be so naïve?!

"Hello, Father." Liam said, breaking into Lizzy's thoughts. She mentally kicked herself again. Oh, right. She groaned. MNT adopted Liam. Yet another reason he would betray her for MNT. She couldn't give him a family. Just friendship.

Lizzy hung behind as Liam approached his father. MNT was sitting in a large chair in front of the fire, and the position he was in threw a deep shadow over his face. The only feature Lizzy could make out was his nose, but his voice seemed familiar when he said, "Thank you, Liam, for coming."

Liam nodded. "I said I would."

Lizzy clasped her hands in front of her tightly, uncomfortable at this exchange and full of apprehension at what was going to happen. She glanced around the room, looking for some way of escape, but the only doorway was the one they had come through and the windows all looked as though they were nailed shut. She exhaled heavily. Then she noticed a desk in a corner with several sharp-looking knives on it – if she could just get over there and grab one...

"Lizzy?"

She looked up quickly. Liam was standing in front of her, hand outstretched. "Come on. There's someone here who wants to meet you."

She suddenly remembered where she'd heard MNT's voice before. She'd heard it more than once... but she'd also heard it very recently and just now, she'd realized where. She turned to MNT and, ignoring Liam's hand, stomped past him and over to MNT.

She moved in front of him to get a better look at his face and gasped when she realized her guess was correct. Her hands dropped to her sides.

"Wilfred!" She exclaimed. "Or, MNT! Or – who? Nevermind," she said, an angry tone entering her voice. "I don't care."

She should've known. The old man Liam had introduced to her as "trustworthy" back at the headquarters before they'd left was obviously anything but. Liam hadn't changed. Lizzy had been a fool to think he could've.

Liam stepped forward. "No, Lizzy – he isn't..."

"I'm not listening to anything you say." she ejaculated. "Not another word."

"He isn't who you think he is." Liam said, ignoring her exclamation.

"He's not MNT? Well then – why..."

"Well," He cocked his head, adjusting his statement. "He is MNT, but..."

Lizzy raised her eyebrows. "Really?"