Chapter Six

It was late that night; Finn, Patrick, Marjorie and Lizzy were sitting at the dining room table – Alexander had said he was too tired to meet with them that evening. They were discussing plans for the next weeks; Finn and Patrick were catching up, and Lizzy and Marjorie were sharing funny stories of earlier years.

"And you still didn't know he was there?" Marjorie exclaimed.

"Nope." Finn laughed, and Patrick grinned.

"Actually, he didn't know I was there until Father left. I could've let him leave and never know I had listened in, but where's the fun in that?" he added. "Finn always was a distracted soul."

Finn elbowed him in the ribs.

"It's true!" Patrick insisted.

"Well, I never told you about the time I spied on you and Lucy when you were fourteen."

"Hey! Where's the privacy?"

"Nowhere. I suppose Erin never knew about that, now did she?"

Patrick's face softened at the mention of his wife. "She would have understood."

"Also, you hadn't met her yet."

"That's true," Patrick's whole face drooped, and suddenly he looked tired and much older than his years.

Lizzy cleared her throat. "Down to business?"

"Right." Finn nodded, placing a small notebook on the table. "Here's a plan – in the works, of course – of attack. You, Lizzy..."

"Wait," Marjorie interrupted. "Sorry, Finn, but I feel kind of bad doing this without Alex here. Why don't we wait until tomorrow?"

"Aren't we doing it now because Alexander isn't here?" Patrick's forehead creased.

"Wait, you don't trust him?" Lizzy asked Patrick.

"Well, I'm not sure yet. Leaning towards no?"

Finn nodded. "Honestly, he's not the most trustworthy person... in my opinion."

"Mmhmm." Marjorie was glaring at both of them. "Right..."

Lizzy smiled thinly and placed a hand on Marjorie's arm. "We need a moment to... um, talk. Excuse us."

Marjorie didn't break her withering gaze at Patrick and Finn until Lizzy closed the door in the kitchen.

"You need to relax." Lizzy told her.

"But he's..."

"I know. Alexander can handle it, though."

"But... well, yes, of course he can, but..."

"Marjorie." Lizzy placed her hands on Marjorie's shoulders, forcing her to look into her eyes. "If you know that, can't you let it go?"

"Yes, I can, I mean I could, but –"

Lizzy placed a finger on Marjorie's mouth, preventing her from continuing.

"You just said the word 'but' more times in the course of five minutes than I have ever heard from you. Could this be love?"

Marjorie blushed. "I'm thirty-four. My life is practically over! Of course not."

"That red in your cheeks tells me otherwise!"

"Enough of this silly talk."

"Mmmhm?" Lizzy teased.

"Oh, stop it!" Marjorie swatted at her playfully.