Chapter Five

"So, what did you find out at... wherever you went?"

Lizzy glanced at Alexander, then reverted her attention back to Marjorie. Shrugging, she replied, "Actually, nothing."

"Nothing?!" Finn was incredulous.

"Nothing except for a contraption to make the windows rattle and wind whoosh through the room. We looked, but as I said before to Alex, they probably knew I was coming and cleared out."

Finn nodded. Marjorie was still a little downcast, but she didn't seem too discouraged.

Alexander smiled at them. "Any questions?"

"Actually, I did have one." Finn raised his hand briefly but kept talking before he was called on. "Are we fighting against these clock makers, or your brother?"

Marjorie was confused. "But... aren't they the same thing?"

"No, they're most definitely not the same thing." Lizzy said, the small smile on her face softening her words. "You see, the clock makers, they work for everyone. They give secret information about different causes, and whoever has the highest bid wins it all. They are also completely neutral – neither evil nor good, by our standards – and they have no opinion on anyone else. The messages are sent in code, to a receiver in whatever country, in clock form. Nobody has been able to discover how except for those secretly trained, and one other person." Lizzy paused.

Finn stared. "Who?"

"A man named Judas Amato, from Italy. He cracked it, and before he could share the code, was mysteriously assassinated. My guess is the clock makers didn't want it becoming widespread knowledge."

"Yes, then they changed the code." Alexander added.

"But couldn't we crack it?" Marge asked. "What if one of us ordered information..."

"I hear it's quite expensive." Elizabeth said.

"Maybe Marjorie's on to something, though," Alex rubbed his chin, deep in thought.
"If we all put our money together..." Finn jumped in. "I have forty pounds."

"I only have twenty to spare, but I might have something to sell..." Lizzy sighed. "If it comes down to that, if we become desperate – then I could acquire four hundred pounds, maybe more."

Marjorie's eyebrows shot straight up. "What? Four hundred? Lizzy, that's..."

"A lot." Alexander's expression was grim. "What would you sell?"

Elizabeth looked at her feet, and recognition spread over Alexander's face. He shook his head. "No, Liz. We can't let you do that. If they got it... no. We'll find another way."

Several minutes passed, and the only sound was the clock ticking. Finn, who had appeared deep in thought, suddenly announced he had an idea, quickly telling the group.

"Yes, I think that would work. Alexander?"

"Sounds difficult, but we could probably do it. Lizzy?"

"We need a plan." She stated simply. "A detailed, multi-layered plan with many B's and C's and... well, with plenty of backups. We need someone who knows the incorporation inside and out, but luckily, I spent a lot of time there. If we're going to take them down from the inside, though, we need a headquarters."

"So... we're doing it?" Marjorie looked at Alex, then Finn. "All right. I suppose we're already packed."

"First, though, can we go Northern Ireland?" Finn asked. "We did all this... to go to Ireland."