Chapter 4

Gibbs turned to look at his senior field agent. Tony shrugged his shoulders. He could see the question in his boss' face.

'Oh, are you in trouble again Tony?' Ziva laughed.

'Agent David, did you listen to anything that was said earlier. Agent DiNozzo is not your colleague. He is my second in command. You owe him your respect. He has more than earned it. Apologise now.'

Ziva stared at Gibbs and just blinked. She must have misheard.

'Excuse me?' She questioned. Ziva was used to having leeway with him.

'Apologise to Agent DiNozzo.' Gibbs repeated, but slower this time.

'I'm not stupid.' She snapped at him. Ziva paled as she realised what she had done. 'Gibbs, I'm sorry.'

'Agent David, this is the last time I'm going to ask you this. If I have to do it again, you will be on repot.' Gibbs couldn't believe that it had gotten this bad. Where had he been? If she was like this with him, what had she been like for Tony?

Anger flashed in her dark eyes. She turned towards Tony, hatred was clearly written on her features. Her face turned uglier with that negative emotion.

'Agent DiNozzo I'm….sorry for my earlier outburst. It was inappropriate for me to talk to a….superior officer that way.' She uttered through gritted teeth.

'Apology accepted Agent David.' Tony gave Gibbs a surprised smile, and then rushed up to Vance's office.

XXXX

'Sorry, I'm late director.'

'Take a seat please Agent DiNozzo.' Vance waited for him to sit before he carried on. 'Is there anything I need to know about what went on downstairs?'

Tony could see that Vance knew something that had happened.

'Agent David made a comment. Gibbs made sure she understood that it was not allowed, and won't be tolerated.'

'Very well, I'm glad to see that it's been dealt with. The reason I called you here was because I've received a call from Chief Strauss at the BAU. They've asked for your help.' Vance watched Tony carefully. 'I didn't know that you were in contact with anyone there?'

Tony could see why he was confused. Everyone knew how Gibbs felt about other agencies, and having to work with them.

'Abby and Palmer are the only other people to know this.' Tony waited for Vance to nod knowing that this information wouldn't go anywhere. 'I was getting tired of feeling like the idiot cousin. I had Ziva and her comments about my background as a cop, and how it wasn't anything as good as her training. Then on the other side I had McGee making snide comments about my education. I decided to go to some seminars and see what interested me. I went to one, and there I met Dr Spencer Reid he was a guest talker. He knew a professor who might be willing to take me on and give me some leeway for the assignments.' Tony smiled. 'You never know with this job when you might get called out. I've started on a criminal profiling course, there is a lot to it including behavioural analysis. Spencer and I became friends. I have no idea why they need me though?'

Vance was glad that Tony had told him. He was angry at hearing the attitude problems Ziva and McGee obviously now have.

'They have a case where the victims are being dressed up as navy personnel. None of them however have any connection to that or any branch of the military.' Vance paused for a moment as something occurred to him. 'If you have only met Dr Reid why did Chief Strauss mention she heard nothing but good things about your abilities? She seemed to imply it was from more than one person.'

'Well, the only thing I can think of is my assignments. I send them to Spencer, just to check I am on the right track. He may make a couple of suggestions. My last couple the rest of the BAU ended up reading them, and making their own points. Spencer told me that they thought I had a natural ability.'

'Well, that's good to hear. For the next couple of days, you're assigned to assist the BAU. After that, we can discuss things if you are still needed. If you ever need time off for your assignments or a class please let me know. If your team aren't on a case and I'll sign you off.' Vance offered.

'Thank you director.' Tony replied surprised.

'Tony, what you're studying is going to help us. Since you are improving your education can I suggest some computer courses? You do need to bring up your skills a little.' Vance smiled at him.

'I'll look into it sir, what about Gibbs?'

Vance knew what Tony was talking about. Gibbs didn't like his people being transferred or assigned without his knowledge or permission, especially Tony.

'I'll come down with you and tell him myself.'

'I'm confused sir. I thought you didn't think much of me, and that you're more of a McGee fan?'

Vance hated the fact that it came across that way, and maybe at one time he had been. Things had changed. 'I never meant you to feel as if I didn't respect you. With McGee's skill, I felt as if he were the future of this agency. What I'm not happy with is this attitude he now has. I have quite a few reports from different agents about him and Ziva, and how they treated you. I was angry that Gibbs hadn't done anything about it. I'm glad he stepped up to the plate this time if he hadn't I was going to get involved.'

XXXXX

Gibbs couldn't help but chuckle as he looked over at Ziva. She was sat there and sulked. Her gaze never left the monitor in front of her. It was obvious that she and McGee had thought that he would laugh along with them, or ignore it so they could continue. We'll he done both of those things, and because of that he owed his senior field agent a huge apology. He was surprised that DiNozzo was still on his team and willing to take his lead.

'Aah, Agent Gibbs, the BAU have requested Agent DiNozzo's help. I've agreed.'

'Vance.' Gibbs growled. He didn't want any of his agents reassigned anywhere, even temporary and that went double for DiNozzo.

TBC