Chapter 7

Bucky's POV
After she took a short nap, she was back to the Star we know, Tony managed to get the power working. I was watching Star stare at Peter and Rhodey, they were sitting a few feet away from us. Peter waved at her, smiling, she giggled and rolled backwards to play with her toys laid on the ground.
Steve said" She's so agile."
I said" Yeah, just wait until she ends up breaking a bone."
" We'd have to keep her still... that'll be a Bucky thing."
" Oh, nice. Thanks." He chuckled, Star looked over at us,
She squeaked" Weve!" Then made grabby hands to him, holding out the cowboy doll.
He said" How about if Peter plays Cowboy, huh?" She turned to him, holding out the doll in one hand while making a grabby motion with the other. Peter, happily, joined her on the floor and they began playing whatever she thought of." Sam should be here in about 2 hours."
I said" Okay." Star giggled as Peter made the cowboy jump over a cliff for her game.
" Did she sleep well?"
" Yeah, got in an hour, before she woke up and was back to her bouncy-self."
" Good. Did she have any nightmares?"
" No, luckily, or she'd never be able to get to sleep."
" Bruce says we'll need to prepare for her to get sick, all of the germs her body isn't used to."
" Okay." She rolled to her other toys and grabbed a few before crawling back to Peter.

Steve and I met Sam at the elevator while Star was playing,
Sam said" So, you found a kid at a HYDRA base and took her in?"
Steve said" Yeah, pretty much."
" What kind of kid?"
I said" A tiny 5 year old girl with powers we don't entirely understand yet."
Steve said" Her name is Star. She's amazing and adorable." We walked into the lounge, and saw Star sitting on Peter's back while he sat on his knees and hands, moving around in a spot.
" What is she doing?"
Peter said" Toy and Cowboy needed a getaway car. I was the closest thing to her."
" Star, come here and meet a new person." Star jumped off Peter's back, tripping, I went to catch her but her powers stopped her from falling, she didn't notice. She ran to me, hiding behind my legs, peeking out to look at Sam.
Steve said" Star, this is Sam, he's our friend."
Sam said" Hi, Star." She smiled and waved at him, Natasha walked by and scooped her up. She squeaked but settled once she knew it was Natasha, she giggled and playing with her hair.
Natasha said" Hi, Star."
Star giggled" Nat!" She traced her smile as Natasha smiled at her, she giggled. Then her stomach growled, which spooked her a little, she yelped and made grabby hands to me. I took her into my arms, letting her trace the lines on my arm.
I said" Lunch time, huh?" Star giggled, focused on tracing," Okay, how about we get you dressed and we go out to get something?"

I held Star's hand as we left the tower, I smiled as she looked around.
Natasha said" Why'd I have to come along?"
Steve said" Because Star likes you?"
" I hate you all except for Star." Star giggled,
Sam said" What exactly are we doing?"
Steve said" We keep Star in the tower, except for once, we think it's time for her to experience the world."
" What is she wearing?"
" Bucky dressed her!" Scooping Star into his arms, tickling her stomach, she laughed and held onto his hand, playing with his fingers.
I said" I... She saw color and wanted to wear it, then she saw Toy on shirt and wanted to wear it. So I let her wear it."
Natasha said" And the rain boots?"
" She saw the yellow and wanted to wear it."
" This is hilarious."
" I'm letting her pick out clothes, okay? It's a step forward."

We got to a playground, kids were playing, Star was staring at them, like she wanted to join them but didn't know how to.
I said" Go play, Star, we're right here." She looked at me then cautiously walked over to the playground, holding tightly to Toy. I kept my eyes on her, as she climbed onto the play set and moved past the other kids.
Steve said" She's fine, Buck."
" I'm just watching her."
Sam said" You look like a creep, Bucky." I turned to him with a glare, he sighed, shaking his head," I'm just telling the truth."
Steve said" She's okay. She's sliding down a slide." I turned my focus to Star again, then more and more kids showed up. Her head whipped to the sounds they were making,
I said" She's panicking." Kids pushed past her, knocking her a little, her eyes closed, squeezing shut. I ran to her, scooping her up into my arms, I could feel her heartbeat. Her hand gripped my jacket, the dirt started to raise, I got her away from the noise.
I leaned against a tree, rocking her in my arms,
I whispered" It's okay, Star. Bucky's right here. It's okay. Shh. Shh." I held her with one arm as I pulled my jacket down, moving her hand to feel the metal. Her entire body relaxed, her grip on my jacket loosened, and she opened her eyes." You okay?" She nodded," Wanna go back to the tower?" She shook her head," Wanna go play?" She shook her head again, I nodded," Wanna go get food?" She nodded again," Okay, let's go get food."
She mumbled" Wucky, safe?"
" Yeah, Bucky's safe." Steve, Sam, and Natasha joined us,
Steve said" Everything okay?"
" Yeah, everything's just fine. Let's go get something to eat." I went to put Star down, she tensed up, I adjusted her on my hip instead. She laid her head on my shoulder, playing with the ends of my hair.

Once we got to a restaurant, everyone agreed on, we got a table, Star was sat between me and Steve. Natasha and Sam in front of us, Star was looking at all the decor. I smiled as her hand went onto my head to balance herself to look at something above her.
I said" What're you doing, Star?"
She said" Looking." Then she moved to Steve's head to look at something else in his direction. Steve laughed, and held her sides to help her keep balanced." Hi, Weve!"
Steve said" Hey, Star." She giggled, then sat down, I smiled at her, she giggled more and traced my smile. We looked through the menu, Star was playing with my fingers, humming some tune she heard on one of the cartoons.
I said" Okay, what do you wanna try, Star?" I moved my hand to make sure she was less distracted, I put the kid's menu in front of her. Her eyebrows furrowed," She can't read." Her head tilted, staring at the paper," Okay, how about you color?" I gave her crayons and turned the paper over to the activity side. She began scribbling on the paper, I looked at Steve,
" It's okay, Buck. We can teach her how to read."
" Color on Steve's arm, Star." She giggled and Steve let her drag his arm to in front of her, she scribbled on it even if it didn't leave a mark. I looked at the menu, she likes anything, so I'll just get her something.

Once our food came out, Star looked at me,
I said" Okay... Chicken tenders, hand food. Fries, hand food. Mac & cheese, spoon food." I led her hands to the chicken tenders and fries, she began eating, I smiled, she picked up the spoon and ate the pasta. I sighed, she's learning fast, and that's a really good thing for the both of us.