Chapter Seventeen

Good friends are like stars. You don't always see them, but you know they're there. - Unknown

I don't remember it, but I must've fallen asleep some time after my conversation with my mom, because the next thing I remember is feeling a hand shaking my shoulder.

I groaned as my mom's cheerful voice woke me from my slumber, her hand shaking my shoulder gently.

"Sweetheart. It's time to get up," she said with a smile in her voice that I couldn't quite muster myself.

As I slowly opened my eyes, the soft morning light filtering through the curtains greeted me. I blinked a few times, trying to shake off the remnants of sleep that clung to my mind.

Dragging myself out of the extra cot, I lazily lifted my head to see her holding out a set of clothes for me. "You have to get ready for school."

"What about Jon?" I asked, still half asleep. "The doctors think he should take the day off. Hopefully, he'll be released later today," she replied. "That's good," I mumbled before yawning loudly. "Hurry up and get dressed. I brought you some clothes. I also brought you breakfast," she added as she rustled a plastic bag beside me. The smell of cinnamon hit me like a wave as she mentioned breakfast bars. My stomach grumbled in response.

"Hurry up and get dressed," my mom urged me on. "I brought you some clothes. And breakfast." The smell of cinnamon wafted through the air, instantly waking up my senses. "Is that...?" "Apple cinnamon breakfast bars? You betcha," she confirmed with a smile. "Baked 'em fresh this morning just for you two."

My mom knew exactly how to brighten up even the darkest days with her baking skills. Her apple cinnamon breakfast bars were legendary in our household – soft and chewy oatmeal biscuits filled with an apple cinnamon brown sugar gooey caramel-like filling and topped with a confectioner's sugar drizzle. The closest thing I could compare her apple cinnamon bars to were Nutri-Grain bars, only a million times better.

They were the perfect grab-and-go treat for busy mornings like this one. I took a hearty bite of the bar she handed me, savouring the familiar taste that never failed to bring comfort. "Mmm. Do I smell your mother's apple cinnamon breakfast bars?" Jon asked, awakening from his slumber. I chuckled at his reaction before playfully nudging him. "She made extras just for you. Better eat them before I do."

Jon chuckled as he grabbed one of the bars for himself and took a bite, savoring the flavors just like I did moments ago.

"I'll be right back you two. Harley, you better start getting ready soon." My mom said before she exited.

As I watched my mom leave the hospital room, leaving Jon and me alone, a sense of dread settled in the pit of my stomach. Today was going to be a long day without my best friend by my side.

"Ugh. I don't even want to go to school without you. Today is going to be so boring. Who else will I talk to?" I lamented.

Jon let out a small chuckle. "I can't believe I'm saying this. But, isn't Damon in your biology class?"

I paused for a moment, trying to recall Damon from my class. "Oh yeah. You're right," I sighed. "But that's only first period. Gym will be a total nightmare without you." "Just think of me and I'm sure it will go by faster," Jon smiled weakly. I nudged him playfully. "Oh please, as if anyone could replace you." We shared a laugh before he turned serious again. "Promise me you'll come visit me after school? Even if it's just for a little while." "Of course," I assured him with a smile.

Jon nodded, his eyes reflecting a hint of exhaustion. "I just want to rest at home...watch some TV maybe." "You need to get better," I said softly, placing a hand on his forehead. "You're hot..."