Chapter Thirty Four

It's scary to think that one day we're going to have to live without our mother or father or brother or husband or wife. Or that one day we're going to have to this Earth without out best friend by our side, or them without us. Appreciate your loved ones while you can, because none of us are going to be here forever. - Unknown

It's been a week since my mom's accident.

True to his word, Jon brought me here every day.

Neither of us had been back to school, but Jenna graciously offered to collect our assignments and bring them to us.

From the time visiting hours began to when they were over, I spent every moment next to my mom's bed, going over old memories of all of us.

I held onto the hope that one of these times, it would be enough and she would finally be ready to wake up.

With me not being in school for the last week and a half, Mr. Haggerty had begun emailing me footage of the process he had made with the play.

It was surprisingly further along than I had expected.

Last I checked he was still holding final auditions. Now, that had all been completed as well as the props, sets and costumes.

He expected to be ready in the coming days.

I guess he didn't really need my help. He got things together just fine on his own.

"Hey," I heard, snapping me out of my trance. I hadn't realized I'd been staring blankly at my mom's monitor.

Jon stood there with a doughnut and Sprite bottle.

"You went all the way to my mom's bakery for this?"

"I thought having one of her recipes might make you feel better. If I had time I would have made it myself, but we both know how that would have turned out."

He was referring to a time when he had tried replicating my mom's chocolate doughnut recipe as a surprise.

He didn't really have a recipe to follow so you can only imagine how that turned out.

Appreciative of his effort, my mom spent the afternoon with both of us teaching us how to make her chocolate glazed doughnuts.

"Thanks," I smiled, accepting the treat. "How is everyone doing?"

Everybody at the bakery had taken my mom's accident really hard.

She - I almost said was - is loved by so many people in this town. Everyone knows her. Her desserts are ordered for nearly every event that happens in town.

She also knows how to throw a great party. Her and my dad.

We often had barbeques on Sunday where everyone was welcome.

Everyone congregated at our house after church and us kids played together, adults shared conversation.

Ah, the simpler times. What I wouldn't do to return to such a time.

"They're doing as you'd expect. They're sad, but they're trying to keep business running for when your mom wakes up."

"That's nice," I smiled again before taking a bite of my doughnut.