Chapter Thirty Five

It takes years to build up trust, and only seconds to destroy it. - Unknown

It started out like any other day.

I had finished all my homework, much of it having piled up, due to me constantly being by my mom's side.

I brought it with me, having every intention of working as I sat beside her, just letting her know I was there, but I always ended up focused on her. Just waiting for her to open her eyes.

The doctors say that her brain activity is increasing, which they believe is promising and that she might wake up soon.

There have been times when I've fallen asleep, just watching her and doctors or nurses have had to come in and wake me up

They all tell me she will wake when she's ready.

While me sitting there may be comforting, there's no guarantee it will speed up her recovery.

My answer was the same every time, exactly what I told Detectives Lambert and Carillo.

She had been there for me my entire life, protecting me, looking out for me. Now it's my turn to do the same for her.

Buzzzz!

My phone vibrated, letting me know someone was either calling me or had texted me.

Picking it up, it read unknown number.

Frowning, against my better judgement, I answered.

"Hello?"

"Harley?"

"Mr. Haggerty?" I asked, sitting up.

"Yes. Oh thank goodness you answered. Look, there's been some last minute changes to the play."

"What kind of changes?"

"The leads both called in with food poisoning. Their understudies, nobody can get a hold of. I could really use your help."

"Okay. Okay. I'll be right there."

"The venue is at the town theatre."

"The theatre?"

"Yes. It's much bigger. We'll be able to fit more people."

"Okay. I'll be there soon."

I rushed into my closet and threw on a pair of dark jean shorts and a black tank top.

I grabbed my bag, tossed a few things inside. Make up, hair products, hairbrush, those sorts of things, incase the make up team needed anything.

The stairs thumped as I ran down them in record speed.

This is awful. We worked so hard on this play, namely Mr. Haggerty, and on the day of our grand performance, the two main characters come down with food poisoning.

Incidents like these are why we cast understudies.

It's weird that nobody can get a hold of them either.

I just hope he has backups understudies or else we'll be in a lot of trouble.

Checking the bus app on my phone, the bus that would lead me to the theatre was coming in seven minutes.

Throwing on my boots, I made sure I had everything before locking the door and walking the short distance to the bus stop.

I wasn't waiting long as it actually came about two minutes early.