Chapter Twelve

"I told you to get back during the day."

I waved my hand dismissively. "You didn't, really. You said tomorrow. It is still tomorrow." Baisan had found me almost as soon as I had stepped into the lower city. Lothian Dusk had just fallen, but that wasn't the true end of the day, not for those used to Zianna.

Baisan muttered something insulting about me under his breath, but I didn't catch it. "So," he added, louder. "Was the letter important?"

I hesitated, unsure of what exactly to tell him. "We're looking into it," I finally said.

"We?"

"Yes, me and the friend I went to."

"The one who can read."

"Yes."

"When did you become friends with somebody who can read?"

I sighed. "I'll explain when we get home. I'm sorry for worrying you, Baisan, I really am. But you know by now that sometimes I need to do things on my own."

"And there's no way I could have stopped you," Baisan said. "I know."

"Besides," I draped my arm over his shoulders, "I wasn't in any danger, not really. I was going to see a friend."

"Of course." Baisan shrugged off my arm.

I laughed. "So, are the others home?"

"Leker and Castin just went out. Orrun and the girls were working all day and got back before I came out to find you."

"Do you think we could find Leker and Castin before going home?" I asked hopefully. "I have something to show everyone."

Baisan was obviously annoyed, but after a moment of thought, he nodded. "Come on, they were going to wander around near the gate to the main pass." He turned and led me off in another direction. When we reached the gate, it was clear that the two boys had decided on begging. I tended to stick to pickpocketing, but the rest of them would occasionally switch if they believed it would work better.

Baisan and I, from our vantage point on a nearby roof, could see Leker working the crowds of people who were leaving the lower city. Many of them were probably poorer merchants who had decided to sell their goods in the lower city instead of trying to find room in the real market. Others were visitors, mostly the working sailors who had come in for some food, drinks, and probably a stop at one of the brothels. Leker seemed to be doing well. He was still young enough that he could take advantage of people's pity to get things from them. As we watched, we saw a few people give him coins.

Castin, on the other hand, couldn't manage the cute, poor little street child any better than Baisan or I could. He was leaning against a wall, just out of sight of the guards who were standing at the gate. He was watching Leker carefully, ready to run in and help if the need arose. He had his little knife out to warn any other thieves to leave him alone. He didn't need to worry; Castin had quite the reputation among the thieves as a dirty fighter. Most people knew better than to bother him. He had even managed to teach me a few things over the years, though he quickly got frustrated with my lack of talent.

Baisan leaned over the edge of the roof and whistled loudly. It was a particular whistle, a quick high-pitched note followed by a longer one that started high and ended low. Castin glanced up when he heard it, and after a moment, he had located us. Baisan motioned for him to join us and Castin responded with a nod. He went off into the crowd to get Leker. Before long, they joined us on the roof.

"What is it?" Castin asked.

"Finn wanted to talk to all of us together," Baisan replied.

Castin glanced at me. "About?"