Chapter Twenty-seven

A few days later, I was back in the upper city, trying to not draw attention to myself as I walked through the crowds. I was wearing the blue cloak again, and my wrist was freshly bound by Kassia. My knife was attached to my belt, and I had even tied my hair back.

Baisan hadn't been happy when I told him what I would be doing, but he didn't try to stop me. He must have realized that it would be next to useless; I was going to Tannix's ceremony either way. Although I hated the thought, it was slowly occurring to me that Tannix leaving the Order also likely meant he would be leaving Zianna. Maybe he would go home to West Draulin, or move to East Draulin to get married. Either way, I couldn't imagine him staying in Zianna. I wasn't sure how quickly things would change after the ceremony, but they would change. I needed to spend as much time with him as possible before that happened.

I saw the brothers before they saw me, which wasn't surprising. They were standing by a building near the Order's gates, where we had planned to meet. Tandrin was leaning against the wall and Tannix was pacing. Their clothing was almost identical. Deep blue cloaks with gold embroidery around the neckline, dark pants and boots, light tunics. Each wore multiple rings and Tandrin had a thin gold chain around his neck, which was visibly hanging over his shirt. If they had been in the lower city, they would be surrounded by thieves.

I walked up while Tannix's back was turned and waited for him to notice me. He was complaining about something, but he stopped as soon as he saw me standing there. His eyes looked over me thoughtfully. A little uncomfortable by the attention, I crossed my arms and did the same to him. I wondered for the umpteenth time whether he realized how much like a prince he looked, of if he was too used to it to notice. It wasn't just the clothes or the rings or the sword, but the way he held himself, moved, and looked. Everything about him was perfect.

"You look good," he said after a moment. "You should have no problem blending in."

Tandrin stood up and moved closer to us. "Blue suits you. No bias, of course."

"Of course," Tannix said. "I need to go in before they start looking for me. Tandrin?"

"Hmm?"

"Take care of him."

"I will," Tandrin replied with a grin.

"I'm being serious," Tannix said. "Take care of him. Don't let him out of your sight, don't let him near any guards, and don't let anybody talk to him. The only way I'm letting him go in there is if you agree."

Tandrin regarded his brother for a moment, and then nodded solemnly. "Nothing will happen to him."

Tannix looked at me. "Don't leave Tandrin's side."

"I have no intention of leaving his side," I said. "I'm not out to get myself killed, remember? Stop worrying about me; you have a ceremony to worry about."

Tannix sighed. "I know. I'll be glad when it's over." He turned and walked briskly towards the doors, as if waiting any longer would make it harder. Tandrin motioned for me to follow and we started walking at a much more leisurely pace. It felt strange being alone with him.

"I have four guards with me," he said. "Have you noticed any of them yet?"

"Two," I admitted, wondering why he would ask. "There's a man across the street who was watching you both, and the other was around the corner."

Tandrin nodded. "I thought you might notice them. You're well aware of your surroundings."

"I have to be," I said. "I have to know whether it's safe to approach somebody or not. I wouldn't have gone near you or Tannix; it wouldn't be worth the risk. I'd have been tempted, though. Where are the other two?"