Chapter Twenty-six

The door was answered by a girl wearing a simple green dress. She was holding the edge of a tray with her right hand; the other edge was balanced against her hip. It had a plate and bowl laden with food, as well a tall mug of some sort of drink. She looked a little flustered as her eyes trailed over Tannix, trying to figure out who he was. She completely ignored me, but I'd put on the good servant act so it didn't bother me.

"That's for Lord Tandrin." Tannix said it more like a statement than a question.

The girl nodded. "Yes, my lord, I was just on my way to bring it up to him. He's been waiting for you. Please follow me." She led us into a spacious front room. A hall led farther into the building towards what were probably the kitchen, dining room, and servants' quarters. A huge white staircase curled up towards the second floor, and then carried on even higher. We followed her up the stairs, passing by the second floor and stopping at the third. The walls were decorated with paintings, statues stood in corners, and there were plants sitting on little tables or shelves.

I nudged Tannix and whispered, "The Order doesn't look half as nice as this."

"The Order aims for functionality more than luxury," he replied. "If you think this is nice, you should see our rooms in West Draulin."

My witty reply was cut short when the girl stopped in front of an ornate wooden door. She knocked on it lightly and shifted the way she was holding her tray.

When there was no reply, she reached up to knock again, but Tannix gently caught her hand. "Let me." He reached past her and banged his fist against the door once. "Tandrin! Stop being so lazy and come get your lunch."

The door swung open almost immediately. "Calm down, little brother!" The young man pulled Tannix into a warm hug. The girl slipped past them into the room and returned a moment later without her tray. She left without a word. I stood there quietly and watched the two brothers. Tandrin looked so similar to Tannix that it took me a little by surprise. He was a bit taller, and his hair was the typical Telt bright blond instead of golden brown like Tannix's, but they had the same blue eyes and the same smile. Tandrin was wearing a loose blue tunic with black pants, making me wonder if blue was the only colour their family owned.

They broke the hug and walked into the room. Although Tannix didn't say anything to me, I walked in after them and closed the door behind me. Then I stayed near it nervously while the brothers continued greeting each other.

Tandrin smacked his brother's shoulder playfully. "Why are you so dressed up, little brother? You're meeting me, not a council."

"I have an image to maintain," Tannix said. "People in Zianna actually know who I am now."

Tandrin grinned and plopped himself down on a red armchair. He crossed his hands behind his head and put his feet up on the little table in front of him. "Right. Because you enjoy showing off who you are so much."

"I've gotten used to it," Tannix replied.

"Of course you have. And look at you! You've grown."

"You haven't seen me in four years."

"Which is why you've grown," Tandrin said.

Tannix took off his cloak and quite unceremoniously tossed it onto the nearby desk. Then he removed his sword and gently placed it on the table in front of the chairs. He sat down on the armchair facing his brother's. "Where's your guard? Father will be furious at you for not having them around."

Tandrin shrugged. "Out exploring the city. You're one to lecture me on having my guard nearby. Where's yours?" He pretended to think. "Oh, I believe they were left behind in West Draulin. Great help they'll be when you're attacked."