Chapter Twenty-one

"Don't wake him up."

"He'll be fine." The voices crept into my dreams, and a hand shook my right shoulder. Annoyed, I threw my arm over my face and hoped that whoever was bothering me would go away. The clearer of the two voices was Kassia's, and I assumed it was Baisan poking at me. They had found me the day before, stumbling down an alley near our home. In light of my condition, Baisan hadn't even found it necessary to lecture me about being late.

I was shaken again, and this time I groaned. "Go away."

"Get up."

"No," I argued weakly. "Leave me alone."

"Finagale."

My eyes flew open and I shot up into a sitting position. My back screamed out in protest, but I couldn't help it. "What are you doing here?" I asked Tannix, sounding more panicked than I'd intended. He looked so out of place, sitting cross-legged on the ground near my little makeshift bed. Kassia was crouched next to him; Baisan and Castin were off near the other side of the room. Everyone else was gone.

"I came to see if you had made it out," Tannix replied.

"You can't be here," I said. "You can't see this. Go away."

"I've already seen it," he said.

"You..." I hesitated, trying to figure out how best to put my feelings into words. "You're too good for this world."

Tannix smiled and shook his head slightly. "Don't be ridiculous. Let me see your back." He pulled a little jar from a pocket under his cloak. "I've brought the salve."

"We already have some," Kassia said.

"This will be better," Tannix said.

"Fine." Kassia slipped the jar from his hand and moved out of his reach. She unscrewed the lid to dip a finger into the cream. "Why would you use up expensive salve on a Native?" she asked.

"I bought it for him," Tannix said. Kassia still looked doubtful, so he added, "I told you where to find him, didn't I? Why would I help him escape just to hurt him?"

"He wasn't where you told us he'd be," Baisan said. "You said he'd be near the window."

"I couldn't make it through the window," I said. "Kassia, don't worry. He's already used that on me. It was fine."

Kassia hung back, looking at Tannix warily. After a moment, she returned to my side. This time, she gently pulled the loose tunic I'd struggled into the night before over my head. She scooped up some of the salve with her fingers. "I'm sorry if I hurt you," she said quietly, before beginning to rub it onto my back. I flinched, but she was gentle and her touch didn't hurt.

Tannix watched her for a moment before his gaze dropped to my bound wrist. "How does it feel?"

"Better since you wrapped it up. How did you get here?"

"Same way I did yesterday. I came down and stayed around the main gate until someone tried to pickpocket me. I grabbed his arm and asked about you, and when he nodded I insisted he bring me to your home."

"Who was it?" I asked. Tannix shrugged, so I glanced over his shoulder at Baisan.

"Leker."

"I hope you didn't scare him too badly, Tannix," I said. Kassia finished with my back and moved on to the brand. The numbing coolness spread over my back, making it easier to relax.

"No, I don't think so. He brought me to meet Baisan, but he didn't bring me here, and I explained how I had given you the key and told Baisan where the window was. This time, I stood near the gate again until I saw the same boy, and then I caught him and made him bring me back here." He reached under his cloak again to take out my dagger and the chain with my Order ring, both of which he held out to me. "I thought you might want these back."