15 | How I Met Your Mother

Y/N

_

IF KLAUS WAS here, I know exactly what he'd say.

'Bringing your girlfriend to meet your mom on the first date?' He'd probably said, while grinning like the cheshire cat.

Five would probably punch him, I'd punch Five for punching Klaus, and then Five and I would yell at each other for the next hour. I don't have to be a psychic to know that.

"Hey," I said, placing my hand on Five's shoulder, "you got this."

I could tell he was scared to knock on the door, but I didn't want him to be. I didn't like knowing he was too afraid to do something, because that wasn't the Five I knew. He was a strong person, and admittedly, there wasn't much he couldn't do.

"What if she doesn't remember me?" He coughed out, adjusting the jacket of his uniform.

"If I'm being honest, she probably won't."

Five blinked in surprise at my blunt outburst, but when the explanation flashed across his mind, he nodded. This wasn't his world, and she wouldn't know him as her son. It was the sad truth.

"But I know she'll still love you," I smiled, nudging him, "I mean, who wouldn't?"

"A lot of people."

"But not her."

I wasn't very good at pep talks, but apparently this one worked. Knocking on the cherry red door, Five shifted his stance to look presentable. I thought he looked presentable already...

Shortly after, the door swung open to show an old woman wearing a 50s polka dotted skirt. She looked like she was pushing 80, or maybe even 90.

"Hello," she croaked out, leaning against her metal walker, "how can I help you?"

I was genuinely confused. Who was this old woman? Five seemed to know, because he continued to speak.

"We're here to talk to you," he said, "we have some questions."

Instead of answering, the old lady squinted her heavy eyelids, pushing her reading glasses up with a shaky hand. I wasn't sure what to do, so I just stood there awkwardly.

"You look awfully familiar," she said, ignoring me and staring at Five "do I know you from somewhere?"

Taking a deep breath, he shook his head, "no, you don't."

I could see the heartbroken look in his eyes, and that broke me a little.

"Very well then," the old woman croaked out, "come inside."

As she wobbled back into her house, I turned my head to get a good look at Five. His face was blank, like he was taking his time to process something.

"That's your mom?" I questioned, tilting my head, "she's definitely older than I expected."

"My mom was a robot."

"Then who is she?"

"The person my mom was based off of," he explained, stepping inside the house, "she knew Dad before we were born, and she's most likely the reason why our world changed."

"Oh."

Following him inside, we walked into the vintage styled house, and into her living room. Everything was well kept, clean, and slightly dusty. I didn't suppose she'd have much time to redecorate considering she was limited to her walker.

She gestured for us to sit across from her, so Five and I sat cautiously on the green tweed couch. I felt like I was walking straight into the past. Everything was so outdated, but pretty.

"Well," she said, her voice cracking, "what is it you wanted to ask?"

Five sat up straighter, "do you remember Reginald Hargreeves?"

Upon hearing the name, Grace shuddered. Like the rest of us, she clearly didn't have the greatest memories with our dad.

"I knew him once," she said, "is he dead?"

I knew she was only asking out of curiosity, but I couldn't help but mutter a 'I wish he was' under my breath. That earned me a nudge from Five.

"No, he's very much alive," the boy next to me said, "we just want to know what happened the day you left him."

"I don't understand why you're asking me this."

"It's important."

"Then I suppose I could answer," she mumbled, scratching the bottom of her chin, "It might take me awhile to remember."

"We can wait."

I really didn't want to wait, but I decided to keep my mouth shut for the sake of Five. As much as I enjoyed messing with him, now wasn't the time. I needed to hold my tongue and my temper: something I rarely could do.

After a few more moments, Grace nodded her head in exclamation.

"I remember that night," she said, "it was a very bad day."

Five cocked a brow, "why?"

"Reginald wasn't the nicest man, you know," she sighed, "he said he wanted to take children from thier families and study them for thier powers."

"Is that so..."

"Horrible things, you know."

"But what happened when you left?"

"Hah!" the woman scoffed, wagging her finger, " I told him, god forbid you find those kids, because they'll turn out just as disappointing as you!"

I gave Five a side eye, watching as he shuddered slightly. I didn't blame Grace for saying that, since she didn't know who we were, but that was still sad all the same. It must have been worse for Five.

"Well, thank you for your time," he said standing up abruptly, "that's all we needed to know."

Grace looked surprised at his sudden wish to leave, but obliged. Soon the two of us were standing outside by the car, staring at the ground in a moment of silence. I didn't want to say something rude.

"I know what changed the timeline," he said, glancing at me.

I raised an eyebrow, "what?"

"What she said to him," he explained, "about us being disappointments? I'm guessing that made Hargreeves choose seven other kids in the hopes they'd turn out better."

I scoffed, "I can guarantee it didn't work."

Popping open the car door for me, the boy gave me another dimpled grin. He seemed happier now that we were out of the house.

"I don't know," he said cheekily, "I think it worked with you."

_

Speaking of 'Cheekily', my new Louis Partridge book is out! HAHAHAHAH it's called 'Cheeky'....

oh man, that pun sucked. I'm so cringy i know :(