THIRTY-SIX

A flash of light had blinded Kai's vision. The physical impact he'd felt in that moment was equivalent to being hit by a truck. The feeling of grit stinging his skin made him feel like he was in a living hell.

An eerie silence blared through his ears as he began to make out the muffled sounds of nearby car alarms going off. As he struggled to get to his feet, panting, his eyes darted around the area. His blurry vision tried to focus as he noticed tiny bits of paper and cloth floating down to the ground, still burning.

He staggered to his feet, feeling shaky, burns all around his body. Hopefully his healing factor would counter those soon as they had in the past.

His vision was beginning to focus, but his ears were still ringing. While his body was more durable than humanly possible, it still wasn't impervious to the force of a point blank explosion.

Muffled grunts and clashes permeated his ears as the smell of dust, blood, and gunpowder littered the cold air. With a splitting headache, Kai dug himself out of the rubble, activating his bio-shield as he found that Leo had engaged Ajax in his absence.

While the boy was a decent combatant, Kai still feared for his safety. Ajax was willing to do anything to please Matthews, even taking their lives. He didn't want Leo ending up like Echo or Sharpshooter.

Leo rapidly spun his titanium bo staff through his hands, slightly stumbling backwards with a jolt as Ajax thrusted upwards, breaking through the boy's guard. After he'd deflected the blow with his chipped blade, the man recoiled with a kick to Leo's face.

He staggered back, coughing. Ajax's heel had struck his Adam's Apple, but he steadied himself, clutching his staff as he wiped the blood from his jaw. Panting, he scowled at the man as he spit out a glob of blood.

"You know, I think I remember you now." Ajax taunted, pointing the tip of his weapon at the lightning summoner. "You're the quiet one. The calm before the storm."

"And here's the storm." Leo retorted, holding up his staff as frolicking bolts of lightning rocketed down from the void-colored sky above. His eyes emitted a blue, electric glow. He yelled as he swung his staff in the man's direction, a thick bolt of electricity shooting out from the edge of the rod.

Ajax corkscrewed over the blast, teleporting in the middle of the acrobatic movement. But Leo knew physics. Whenever the man teleported, he seemingly retained every inch of the momentum he'd possessed prior. Ajax's momentum combined with his own would make for a devastating amount of force.

Ajax materialized behind him, attempting an overhand swing directly to his head.

Perfect. Leo jammed his staff backwards as it plunged into the man's stomach, releasing an electric shockwave on impact. Leo watched as the man was propelled backwards, his energy sword flying out of his hand.

As Kai searched for his Chromanium sword, his eyes caught sight of Ajax attempting to retrieve his own weapon, which was only a few feet away from him.

"Leo, he's going for his sword!" Kai called to his teammate. The boy nodded, a bit of blood dripping from his left nostril as he did. He sprinted towards the infamous blade, throwing aside his bo staff so that he wouldn't be slowed down.

He extended his arm, attempting to grip the hilt of the weapon, but Ajax materialized before him once more, grasping the blade. His crimson eyes glinted like a feral wolf's as that revolting smile engulfed his face once more.

Amber had arrived just in time to witness the horror unfold.

Ajax's energy blade sliced through Leo's outstretched arm, severing it from his body.