TWENTY

"Something told me you'd show up here." The man drew his glistening, razor-edged katana from his sheath. "You should've stayed out of it."

"This ends now." Kai grunted, his fingers welding themselves to the hilt of his own blade.

"We're just getting started, kid." Ajax chuckled as he and the boy circled each other, looking for a weak point. "You must think you're some kind of protector or something."

Kai bounced on the balls of his feet like an MMA fighter. His voice held a bit of snark to it. "I'm more of a Guardian."

He wasn't going to retreat this time, nor would he ever again. If he left, he was going to leave with Ajax. He side-eyed Adam, signaling him to counter Ajax's telekinesis with his own. The boy did so immediately.

Ajax jabbed his sword out towards him, but reflex kicked in and Kai ducked forward in an attempt to cleave his legs. The mercenary noticed this at the last second and only got away with a small, bleeding slice.

Kai grunted as he brushed the pain off, ignoring the wet, bloody sensation forming on his gut. He clenched his jaw in an effort to suppress the pain. He hadn't realized that Chromanium was the only material that could pierce his skin until now.

He had to be extra careful here.

"I see you've upgraded your arsenal. Good to know that I'm still an inspiration." Ajax acknowledged as he switched his grip on his blade.

Kai looked over his shoulder to find Ajax airborne, likely attempting to slice his face open. Swiftly, he raised his sword and the two blades clanged together, creating a rumbling echo throughout the dark, gloomy area.

"You never were." He groaned.

The weight of Kai's sword was dragging his down. While the man could wield his blade just as efficiently as he could move his arm, Ajax still couldn't match the might of the Guardian. But the man recovered and pushed back hard with a kick to the face, sending the boy stumbling backwards.

Nearly tripping over his own feet, Kai rolled to a combative stance, thankful for his abilities. He had an advantage here. The man could pound him all day, but his blows would have no effect.

Nevertheless, he grit his teeth, panting. He was matching the man's skill...just barely. Without his telekinetic abilities, Ajax wasn't looking so fast now. He must've been using them to augment his physical attributes.

"So what did my father tell you about me?" Ajax asked, scanning for a weak point.

"He told me everything I needed to know." Kai replied. He extended each of his arms outward as he grit his teeth. Bringing his hands together rapidly, he watched as a stream of spiraling shockwaves sent Ajax through the wall.

A warping sound deafened Kai's ears as Ajax darted back towards him at rapid speed. Adam's nose began bleeding as he began to lose his hold on him, and couldn't hold him much longer.

Shit.

"Well it clearly wasn't the whole story." With a loud grunt, the man grabbed the boy's head and pushed it down right into his knee. Another futile blow, as an the impact was registered. Not an ounce of pain.

Kai stumbled back as little red spots marred the top of his nose, getting visibly agitated. Ajax extended his hand towards Adam, overriding the boy's abilities as he threw him back down the stairs.

He hit his head on the wall, knocking him unconscious. Kai rolled sideways, hearing the low hum of the glowing sword as it sliced through the air.

Rage peeled at his body as the purple light illuminated his brown skin.