Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

(May 22, 2011)

4:30 PM

Lucca's Point of View

My heart sank slowly as Nathan put his car in park. We were in front of where I live. I mean... I would call it home like a normal person, but it didn't feel like home. I was never excited to go back to this house after nine wonderful months for the past two years. I would just be locked inside my room in what was pretty much solitary confinement. However, I'm kind of strangely hoping this summer will be similar with my uncle ignoring my existence and hopefully ignoring Matthew as well so we just live in my room in peace.

"Dude, your house looks so nice!" Tony gasps.

"Uhm, thanks," I say and shrug, not that I'm not thankful for a roof over my head, but this isn't my house.

"Alrightie well, let's help you out with your bags," Tony says, unbuckling his seatbelt.

"Thank you guys so much for offering to help me," I say as I unbuckle my seat belt and reach to open the car door.

"No problem," Nathan mumbles as he exits his car and goes to the back to open the cargo trailer.

I exit the car and quietly close the door, then I go to the otherside of the car and open the door. Matthew was still fast asleep, thankfully this would probably make it easier to briefly introduce Matthew to them. I unfasten Matthew's baby car seat and gently remove it from the seat. I check again and he is still completely asleep. So far so good, hopefully Matthew will be a good baby and be super chill... hopefully.

I take a deep breath and slowly walk towards. I felt the dread grow with each step I took. When I finally make it to the door, I take a few deep breaths to try to calm myself... I swear if I don't get it together, I'll probably trigger a panic attack. I shakily raise my arm and push the button to ring the doorbell.

A few seconds later and the door opens, it's my cousin, Rosemary. She gasps immediately as she sees my sleeping Matthew.

"Lucca- Oh my god... I- Is that your baby?" She asks and crouches to get a better look.

I nod, "Yeah, he's my baby. I'll let you hold him later when he wakes up. Where's your mom and dad?"

Rosemary stands up and shrugs, "I dunno, somewhere around the house," She says and freezes when her dad suddenly appears and puts his hand on her shoulder.

"Thank you for getting the door sweetie," My uncle says with a smile, his hazel eyes say otherwise as his gaze went from my baby to me.

Rosemary looks up at her dad and smiles faintly, "I'm gonna go get ready for youth group dad, is that ok?"

"Oh of course! Go remind Sunny to get ready too please," He says and she walks off to do her stuff. My uncle notices Nathan and Tony. "Friends of yours?" He asks.

"Yes," I say with a small nod. I look behind me and see Nathan behind me with my suitcase. I'm not used to having conversations with my uncle. So this is extremely awkward.

"Hello sir," Nathan says and extends his free hand to my uncle to shake his hand, "It's nice to meet you, I'm Nathan."

I could see Uncle turn on his good ol' business man charm, "Well nice to meet you too Nathan. I'm Richard. You look familiar... Where have I seen you before?"

"Hello! I'm Tony," Tony suddenly popped up from behind me and extended his hand too.

"I'm Richard. Well, I'll show you where Lucca's room is. Follow me," Uncle says and stands to the side, letting us into the beautiful house. Uncle Richard closes the front door and then starts to lead us up the stairs.