04. 𝐛𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫
bender !

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫bender !

┃░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░┃

the dinner had been... interesting. jess had stolen a beer from lorelai's fridge, who he had apparently upset, causing lorelai and luke to argue. but nonetheless luna went home with a full belly that night regardless of what had happened.

currently luna was stood outside of stars hollow high, her boyfriends arm around her shoulder when she saw jess walk out of the building, luke waiting by but quickly catching up to him as jess passed him. the pair walked by her when luna offered a small wave, luke gave her a small nod while jess saw but didn't acknowledge. luna rolled her eyes at his behavior. the girl had seen jess around the school that day, even had few classes with him, but he opted uphold his status of mysterious new guy. she'd caught his eye every so often but he didn't say anything. not that she minded.

"is that luke? what's he doing here?" theo asked, gesturing to him. "that's his nephew. he goes here now."

luna's eyes followed luke and jess as they walked away, seemingly arguing about something. luna had no doubt that jess had pulled another stunt that luke wasn't fond of.

"jess, i'm trying to help you." luke pleaded to his nephew.

"well, stop trying. stop talking to me, stop following me and stop asking me questions. just stop."

"that's what you want?"

"yes."

"that's really what you want?"

"fine. you got it."

"thank you."

"you're welcome."

luna watched them as they disappeared from eyesight. theo squeezed her shoulder, gesturing her to go over to his car. she kept her eyes in front where jess and luke were, eyebrows furrowing as she wondered what they had been arguing about. once she snapped out of her daze, she turned back to her boyfriend, offering a smile. "let's go."

the couple walked over to the vehicle, unaware and missing the sight of luke pushing his nephew into the lake.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

fiddling with the strap of her guitar case, luna walked through stars hollow when she hears a voice call out to her. "hey." she recognizes the ever elusive jess. "and he speaks. figured you'd keep ignoring me."

"i wasn't ignoring you."

"ah, yes. had to keep up the reputation, right?"

jess nodded, a small smile gracing his lips, which he quickly dropped before luna cold comment on it. "you play?" he pointed to the instrument hanging off her shoulder. "what gave it away?" luna furrowed her eyebrows at him. jess gave her a look, deciding to ignore her sarcasm. "are you only capable of speaking sarcastically?" he retorted, head slightly tilting to the side. luna tore her eyes away, pretending to be deep in thought. "i'd say so. it's one of my many talents."

"that and multitasking?" jess referred to their first meeting, when he'd encounter this whirlwind of a girl. luna nodded her head at him, clicking her tongue, "exactly."

"so you already have quite the track record, don't you?" the girl spoke after a moment of silence.

the mariano boy gave her questioning look. "what do you mean?"

"well, for starters, the disappearing act you pulled at dinner, very impressive by the way. you should be a magician. then i heard you stole some money from doose's. i've been meaning to thank you for that. i also heard you went for a swim in the lake."

"potlucks and tupperware parties aren't really my thing."

"never would have guessed."

"also i was pushed into the lake. and i'm surprised you haven't given me a lecture about the money yet."

"well lectures aren't my thing. besides, i don't care if it's wrong, taylor can be a total pain sometimes."

"not a big fan?"

"let's call it a mutual dislike." she sighed. suddenly jess' hand came up next to her head, disappearing behind her ear and came back into her view, a coin now in his between his fingers. luna's eyes narrowed. "i was kidding about the magician thing."

jess lightly chuckled and shrugged. "also don't ever pull a coin out of my ear again. or anywhere else for that matter." she scolded playfully.  "well, then how about one last trick." he says as he pulls out a book, one she instantly recognized. "you got your own copy?"

"no, it's rory's."

"you stole rory's book? didn't she offer to let you borrow it."

"i just wanted to put some notes in the margin."

"notes?" luna took the book out of his hands, looking through the pages, now filled with his handwriting. "seems like you've already read this."

"about forty times."

"i thought you said you didn't read much."

"well, what is much? and i wasn't aware you were listening. you seemed very uninterested."

"i was uninterested, doesn't mean i wasn't listening."

"give that back to her for me?" he pointed to the book. "she has a boyfriend, you know."

"what?"

"i'm just saying, it's a weird way of flirting."

"i wasn't — you know, you're kind of annoying."

"yup." luna nodded in agreement. "and you're kind of an asshole."

"goodnight, luna." he decided not to humor her any further.

"goodnight, bender." she turned around when she heard jess speak once more, "breakfast club, really?"

the girl looked over her shoulder and giggled. "i've been wanting to call you that ever since we met." jess shook his head at her, though a small smirk tugged at his lips.

"see you around, john."

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
𝗴𝗶𝗳 𝗶𝘀 𝗺𝗶𝗻𝗲 !

author's note
they're my favorite yup