78.

-HIM-

I walked through the dark and silent forest back to home from work. It had almost been a year since our exile and I had collected enough money from the mines to buy a very small hut in the village but Arsinoe insisted that we continue living in the woods, away from people's suspicions and negative attention.

I didn't have much problem living the woods with my mate but I was very much aware of the dangers that were lurking between the trees. I wasn't worried about some wild animal attacks. I was afraid of humans... people from her past.

Although, after Chefren, we didn't have any such incidents yet... or at least that's what Arsinoe thought. I would often catch spies sent by Cleopatra after us. Cleopatra kept sending them even though she never got to hear from any of them because I always took care of them on time.

At that point, I was sure that I had killed and burned almost over a hundred of them. At first, they used to come alone but nowadays, they came in groups. As I walked back to our house in the dark, I heard something move behind me in the woods but I acted oblivious to it.

Meanwhile, I silently wrapped my fingers around the sword under my clock that I always carried with me. As I reached closer to the house, one of them attacked me. I took out my sword and cut them in half faster than the blink of any eye.

Even though I had lost most of my godly powers, I still had my fire, my wolf and all the powers that came with him and I used them to my advantage.

This time, there were almost 10 men, all of them attacked me at the same time but I fought them with all the vigour that I possessed. Though I noticed how this group of men were better than the one Cleopatra had sent a couple of weeks ago.

It took some effort from my side to fight them all at once. My concentration was divided and while I was busy dodging a dagger, I felt someone stab me in the shoulder. I bit my tongue hard to contain my roar as pain washed through my body.

With one swift and strong swing, I decapitated the man who stabbed me before I took down two more of them. I did my best to not growl or make any kind of noise in the silent night because I was close to the house and I didn't want Arsinoe to hear anything and find out that her sister was still sending men after her.

I had been trying my best to keep this from her. I didn't want her to live in fear again. She was happiest now and we were getting along very well. I didn't want to disrupt the peace that I had fought so hard to give her.

She had already gon through so much and I didn't want her to suffer anymore. I was going to keep all this away from her at all costs.

It was only after I was done slaying the last man, I took a breath of relief and pulled the dagger out of my shoulder. That man had managed to stab me deep and I was already bleeding from the wound but I didn't care much about it because I knew I would heal by tomorrow.

But hiding the wound from Arsinoe was the main issue. I was deep in my thoughts as I collected the dead bodies and their weapons before carrying them deeper into the woods to burn them until all the evidence was turned into ashes.

I groaned in pain as I carried three bodies with me once. I had to be fast because I knew Arsinoe was waiting for me and she would be worried about me. After I had successfully burned the bodies, I walked back to our house, tired due to my energy lost in the form of fire.

Although, I froze when I saw three more men around the house. I was on time because those men were about to enter the house and... I couldn't let that happen. I ground my teeth as I tightened my fingers around my sword and went after them.

I silently killed two but while I was chasing the third man, he let out a small scream when I caught him and decapitated him.

"Ares, is that you?" Arsinoe's worried voice broke the silence of the night.

"Yes, my pharaoh," I tried to sound as calm as I could while I spotted one more man rounding the house before I chased him. "I am just taking a bath," I said through my clenched teeth as I killed that man as well and collected their bodies.

"Do you want me to help you?" She offered from inside the house. I would have said yes in ant other situation but I couldn't at that moment. Although I knew she would come looking for me and it would be a disaster if she ever saw the dead bodies.

I panicked at that moment as I heard her approaching the door while I dragged the bodies in the curtain of the woods.

"No, that wouldn't be necessary, my pharaoh," I answered.

"Oh, come on. I am feeling hot. I want to bathe too," She chirped. Her words were enough to turn my wolf on but I had a very crucial task at hand I needed to get it done so that she never found out about it.

"I am naked, my pharaoh. You shouldn't come outside," I gritted as I dragged the last body away. At this, she giggled, "Well, it doesn't matter. I have seen everything by now,"

I gritted my teeth as I looked at the bodies. Hadn't it been for them, I would have been with my mate then.

"Please, my pharaoh, stay inside," I requested as I covered all the marks of blood with mud on the forest floor and just wished that the night wind would take the rusty smell of blood away.

"Why?" I heard her groan inside the house.

"My Pharaoh, I am very dirty today due to work and I don't want you to see me like this and lose your interest in me," I told her as I scanned the place for anything unusual. By now, I had forgotten about the pain in my shoulder.

I guess I was already healing.

"Is that so? Then I will stay inside tonight," She answered.

"Yes, you must," I spoke before I took the bodies deeper into the woods and burned them as well. After I was done with them, I cleaned my sword and bathed. My wound was somewhat better by then and it was starting to look less like someone had stabbed me just moments ago.

"What took you so long?" She pouted as I stepped inside the house after erasing all the evidence that there was even an attack on us.

"I just met with some wolves on the way," I lied to her before pecking her lips, "It took me some time to talk to them," I told her casually and she bought it very easily.

The wolves from the neighbouring pack visited us now and then to ask us if we had seen someone pass the woods. In return for the information, they let us roam on their land.

"Oh, anyway. I have already set dinner for us," She chirped before we sat down to eat. We talked about our day at work before we went to bed together.

"What's that, Ares?" She asked as she brushed her fingertips over my wound. She was able to see it after I had removed my shirt to go to bed. I tried my best to not to hiss in pain.

"Oh, that! I met an accident at work. It's healing. You don't need to worry about it, my pharaoh," I told her but by the crease between her eyebrows, I knew that she didn't believe me this time.

Her past was covered with blood and written with the tip of the sharpest sword for her to not recognize what actually caused the wound. But before she could question me more on the matter, I shushed her by locking my lips with hers - something I was looking forward to all day.

...

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read the next 6 chapters for FREE on inkitt.com/parttimewolf

Read the complete book on patreon.com/Benita_16

Also available on Patreon: Javier, Erotic Novellas (LEVEL 2 exclusive)

Insatgram: ptf_16

thanks for reading <3