twenty three

"I think Sirius is going to run away soon." Regulus sighed sadly. "He's been arguing with mother non-stop, and she's been really harsh on him. She beats him up regularly, and I'm afraid she'd do something much worse." His voice cracked.

Now, Lyra mentioned a few things to Regulus (in private, of course). Including the fact that she had a vision of Sirius running away from home.

"He's going to runaway, Reg." She confirmed, and Regulus simply looked away.

"It would probably be tomorrow, or in two days. He's going to be disowned, and his face is going to be blasted off the family tree. But you know what? He's going to be happy. He won't have to face your mother anymore. He won't feel like the family's disappointment anymore." She told him softly.

"I know. Potter is probably going to take him in. And I do know that they're going to treat him right. But I can't help it, Ly. He's still my brother."

"I know, Reggie." She soothed him, rubbing his back.

"You should too." She told him.

"Should what?" He asked confusedly.

"Run away. Don't care about being a family disappointment, Reg. They are not your family. Family don't treat you like shit. You can stay with me. Mum and Dad would love to take you in, Mum misses you loads, y'know?" She said,

"No, I can't. I don't want to be a burden."

"Nonsense! You won't be a burden! Mum and Dad loves you. You're a gentlemen, after all. Besides, you don't have to live with the poor excuse of family you have. You don't have to be pressured into hating muggle-borns. You can be free. I'm not forcing you, into anything, Reggie. But please know that we will welcome you with open-arms, alright? And probably some freshly-baked cookies and warm milk." She added, grinning softly, which managed to crack up a smile from the boy.

-----

True to their words, the next day Lyra had been visiting the Potters. She was spending time with Mia, while James was whining about his mother stealing his best friend. But then, the bell rung and James leaped out of the couch to open the door. He was then greeted by the sight of his best mate shivering, his clothes tattered and destroyed, every inch of him was covered with scars and bruises.

"Hey." He croaked out weakly, before his eyes slowly shut and he passed out.

James immediately reacted and caught him before he fell. He shouted for his parents, and he glanced worriedly at Sirius. His eyes brimmed with tears at the sight of his best-friend looking so weak, almost dead.

Seconds later, Euphemia, Fleamont and Lyra emerged out and they quickly rushed over to the two boys. Lyra gasped loudly, her hands flew to her mouth. Her eyes started watering, she knew Sirius was abused at home. But she never knew it was this bad. Sirius never liked to talk about his family, or his time at home.

"Oh Merlin!" Euphemia gasped, her eyes filling with tears.

"Oh, you sweet, sweet boy." She sniffed, holding onto her second son.

Fleamont looked furious, but when he glanced at Lyra, he knew his anger couldn't compare to her. She looked downright murderous, and she was oddly calm. Though her once bright eyes were now very dark, and the glint in her eyes were unforgiving.

She should have done better. She should have gotten him out of that wretched house before this happened. All of her sadness turned into anger. Her hatred bloomed for Walbugra Black. She promised herself that the woman would pay. Her hands twitched, but she shook her thoughts off and jumped to help Sirius.