ten. about fucking time

AUTUMN ROLLED INTO Winter in almost an instant, the bright and brilliant shades of red, orange, and yellow, turning to pure white, shining like diamonds in the sun. Much to Sissy's delight, the town of Stars Hallow loved winter just as much as she did, with a new festival every week. She smiled as she ran up to Lorelai and Sookie, who sat distraughtly in Luke's, Rory next to them, her faded blue messenger bag around her torso. "What's wrong?" She asked, pulling up a chair. "The Bracebridge dinner is canceled!" Lorelai exclaimed, sighing in frustration. "No! That sucks, I'm sorry!" She frowned, rubbing her forehead. "Yeah, it does! I've got thirty pounds of aged beef, trays and trays of trout, mountains of pruned tarts. I diced pumpkins until my hands turned orange. I've got pumpkin hands," Sookie rambled, raising her hands.

Lorelai and Sookie continued talking as the younger Gilmore's eyes scanned the diner. Ever since she'd come to the realization of her ever so burning feelings for Jess, he'd been nowhere in sight. No asking her out, no pranks, nothing; It's as if he knew she finally wanted him around and he vanished just to punish her. "Are you looking for someone?" Rory asked, smirking. She froze, turning back to the table, her cheeks strawberry pink. "No!" She stammered, shaking her head. Rory looked like she was about to protest, but Luke reaching their table interrupted the two.

"You girls want anything besides coffee?" He asked, pointing to the table. "Hot chocolate, please!" Sissy asked, ignoring Rory's still lingering smirk. "Coming right up." Sookie looked at Luke before turning back to Lorelei, as if having a revelation. "Hey, what about Luke?"

"What about him?"

"He eats, and Jess eats. Doesn't Jess eat?" The mention of his name made her stomach twist and turn, and her body heat up instantly. "What's she doing?" He looked at Sissy, who simply shrugged, before turning back to Lorelai, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "I think she's inviting you for dinner," she answered, looking at Sookie, who looked just about ready to burst. Sissy's eyes opened wide at the idea of having dinner with Jess, the smirk that had just left Rory's face making its way back.

"Yeah, come on, join us. It'll be fun," Sookie persuaded, a huge smile on her face. "You like Peacock Pie?" Sissy grimaced, something Luke matched as he shook his head. "I'm a hundred percent sure I don't." Rory nudged her, which she ignored with an eye roll.

       "There'll be normal food too!"

       "And decorations!"

       "And music!"

       "Come on, it'll be fun!" Lorelai pleaded as Luke shrugged. Sissy tugged the sleeve of her sweater, tapping her foot under the table. Jess was no where in sight — not that she needed him or whatever. She sighed, frowning. He probably only asked me out to make me mad, like calling me Sicily, she thought, ignoring the pang in her chest as she thought of the possibility of him with another ( arguably less cooler — but she wasn't petty ) girl.

"Sissy? You okay?" The sound of Lorelai's voice snapped her out of her thoughts. "Oh," she mumbled, turning her focus to the table. "Yeah. I'm fine." She suddenly noticed the mug of hot chocolate in front of her, taking a sip of the hot, silky liquid, careful not to burn her tongue. "We're heading home — are you going to be okay here?" She nodded, mouth full of the heavenly drink.

       She pulled her cd player out of her bag, gingerly pressing the play button as she tried to hold her cocoa mug. The sound of Courtney Love's voice and familiar guitar rhythms immediately filled her ears as she sipped the warm drink ( aka the best part of winter — in her very true opinion ). Someone tapping her shoulder made her jump, her headphones slipping off her head. "Jesus Christ!" She muttered, turning around to face Jess. Her stomach immediately began fluttering and doing cartwheels as she looked at him, his cheeks red, probably from the cold weather. "Jess," she exclaimed, as he slipped into the chair next to her.