vi. uncertain smile

THE LAST GOOD DAY

↬•↫

in which caleb moore's blossoming friendship causes a war between friends and a secret about his home life is revealed to the party

uncertain smile | trick or treat, freak

〖 a broken soul stares from a pair of watering eyes, uncertain emotions force an uncertain smile 〗

a broken soul stares from a pair of watering eyes, uncertain emotions force an uncertain smile

↬•↫

CALEB KNOCKED on the front door of the Wheeler's house that morning, fingers tapping a restless rhythm on the side of his leg as he awaited permission to enter the house, having left his spare key inside the day before.

There was a muffled yell from behind the front door and the shuffling of footsteps before it was pulled open, revealing Mike's confused frown as he pulled the other sleeve of his beige jumpsuit over his shoulder. Caleb was suddenly made aware that it was, indeed, October 31st and that he had forgotten about Halloween completely.

Whoops.

"Caleb? Thank God, I thought you were still pissed at me, I was going to come over to your place before school. I'm so, so sorry about last night, I shouldn't have made you do that-"

"Mike, it's fine." Caleb dismissed him, shifting on his feet with an impatient jitter in his hands. "Is your mom here?"

"Wha - yeah, but..."

Caleb stepped into the house without another word, closing the front door behind him and peering into the livingroom, where he found Karen adjusting the straps of Mike's toy proton blaster. "Mrs. Wheeler?"

"Oh, hello, hon." Karen smiled, placing the blaster on the floor and pulling him into a quick hug, careful not to touch him for too long before pulling away to tut at him. "We were so worried about you last night, running out like that."

"Sorry, I had a curfew." Caleb mumbled, scratching his arm nervously.

Karen frowned at the bandage wrapped around his hand and took his wrist in her manicured fingers, looking over the white fabric with a worried crease in her brow. "What happened to your hand, sweetheart?"

"Oh, I uh - I slipped in the shower last night, cut it on the tile." He lied horribly, pulling his hand out of her grasp and hiding it behind his back. "I just stopped by to thank you for yesterday, sorry for freaking out on you like that."