23. Stay open.

Soundtrack: 'Beautiful things' - Gungor

{Cary}

Cary found himself replaying the sound of Kadee's voice saying I want to be with you—a lot as he finished the dishes. Her face had been light and glad when she'd looked at him, like just having him in the room made her day better. He felt like she'd put a blender in his chest—everything was mixed up and swirling.

Girls had kissed him before—he'd messed around a couple of times for something to do when he was sleeping on the street—but he mostly hadn't liked it. Hadn't taken all his clothes off, hadn't wanted them to touch him, hadn't thought of them at all the next day.

This was not that. He touched his tongue to the corner of his mouth. The taste of her lips was still there, and he leaned against the sink remembering the way she had closed her eyes kissing him, her pulse fluttering in her throat. Like she didn't have a clue how breakable she was. And—he had wanted to pull her closer, bury his hands in her hair and drink her like water. It was actually terrifying the way he wanted her hands on him, touching him in places where he was completely vulnerable, completely at her mercy. He'd never had feelings like that, and he wasn't sure he liked it.

He shouldn't have wanted to see her again. But he found himself glancing at the clock, counting the hours until it would be tomorrow and she might come back.

Pete and Mel were late returning; Cary was nodding off in front of the TV when the sound of the deadbolt turning startled him awake. He swayed to his feet, putting his head into the hallway to check. Mel was in the entryway giggling, and Pete came in behind her, closing the door and pulling her to him. Cary froze, his face burning as they kissed like a pair of teenagers. He couldn't help noticing how comfortable they looked with their arms around each other—almost like they were one person. They both had their eyes closed.

He ducked back into the shadow of the doorway to hide until they were done. It took longer than he expected, and then the way they were talking in soft murmurs made him embarrassed to interrupt. When the door to their bedroom closed, he crept to his own room and shut himself in.

He'd been almost asleep a few minutes ago, but now he was alert, his body warm and prickling in a way that was unfamiliar and almost pleasant. Restlessly, he turned to a fresh page in his drawing book, and found himself tracing the line of Kadee's throat, the dip at the 'V' of her neckline, the way her hair was dark against her cheek. He paused, lifting his pencil off the page. He shouldn't have been able to remember all the little details that made up her face, but there she was, her bottom lip full and enticing.

He chucked the book aside, swearing softly and shutting his eyes. He went to the cave like he often did when he couldn't sleep, drawing his knees up and resting his face against them to see the fire better in the dark. Split-lip lifted his face and looked across the fire at him, his expression open and welcoming. Cary startled—Kadee was there too, looking into the fire with her chin resting on her hands.

"What is she doing here?" he asked Split-lip sharply.

"You tell me," Split-lip said. He looked amused.

He turned his face aside, his heart drumming. This was supposed to be his place—a place that was safe. When he looked back, Kadee was still there. She was wearing a different face than the one she'd had on today—a face with no makeup, and a serious expression.

He looked back at Split-lip. "You want me to talk about her?"

"I think that would be good," Split-lip said.

It was easier to talk here than anywhere else Cary knew. He didn't have to find the words exactly, the ideas just came out. "She came over today and...kissed me." He put his fingers on his mouth, swallowing. "Felt good. Soft. And she...smells good. Like how—girls smell."