Chapter Forty-Five

* * *

With the truck loaded with gifts, Sage sat in the passenger seat and put her seatbelt on right away, it was something that stuck ever since the plane ride. But luckily she knew that it was a three-minute drive to her adoptive parent's house, and Camilla was damn excited to see her flower.

"You both never come over anymore!" She cried, and Leo groaned into the air. "When the boys find their mates, they won't be back until holidays either."

"But then I have in-laws!" Remus chuckled and greeted his...Well, in-law.

Leo sent the boys to help them with the presents as Camilla gushed over Sage, it was a wonder why the girl never came over, or that's what Leo thought anyway. She wasn't used to being smothered by a mother figure. But she accepted it when it happened.

"Are you hungry? Lunch is almost ready, oh I'm so excited! We have to take pictures!" Sage turned to look up to Luke who didn't hesitate to pull her in for a hug and kissed the top of her head.
"Merry Christmas." He whispered, and she beamed up to him.
"Merry Christmas Lu." It was a small hug, especially when Casey came running out at the idea of more presents.

"MERRY CHRISTMAS SAGEY!" The pup squealed, and she went quick enough to catch the boy to pick him up and nuzzle his cheeks. He knew that Sage was the Luna, but pups weren't forced or obligated to act accordingly. Not at this age at least.

The boy cheered about the presents Santa got him this year, and how he couldn't wait to play with all of them. And Sage simply listened and smiled throughout his description of them all, as Camilla cleaned up the first chance she got.

They were given their second cup of hot coco as Sage curled up with her mate on the couch and the family just enjoyed their company. It felt almost normal, but Luke remembered all too well that the Alpha was going to kick him and his family out right alongside Sage just a few months ago.

While Leo and Camilla were supportive of the idea of moving, as nobody in the family wanted to be without Sage after the weeks of getting to know her and her wolf. So he still held onto the anger, and the depression she experienced. As it was enough to issue a fight if need be.

Especially if he hurt Sage.

The Elwoods enjoyed their presents. For Camilla, Sage painted a family portrait in skin. While Leo had gotten one of the family in fur. But it was perfect and he laughed at how much bigger he was than Luke.

The eldest still had a bit of filling out to do, but that didn't stop him from shadowing his father as the Master of Arms. Remus realized that since Liam had given Sage her first gift, his was special.

And he had been teased the rest of the time for coming close to tears, especially when the Alpha mentioned the stuffie was displayed in her painting room.

Sage had decided that she wanted to help in the kitchen, and Camilla wanted nothing more than to have this time with her daughter...Her little flower.

It was clear that she held an interest in cooking, so the elder she-wolf decided to tell her about the steps and Sage listened intently about it all while Remus enjoyed a beer out on the patio with Leo.

"Luke and Liam won't go on any more family vacations, I don't want my sons to be scared of anything...But that's the stuff we were told of as pups. That's the real nightmares out there." Leo growled, and Remus was reluctant to agree.

"They burned one of them down."
"And took how many of our kind with it?... What if her mother was in the building?" Remus swallowed roughly at the idea of it.

Whyever he assumed Sage's mother is dead was just...A given.

Lunch was delicious, and the lack of conversation paid testimony to that as there wasn't any other noise than chewing. And Camilla felt proud of herself for pulling it off, of course there was chicken and potatoes for Sage. Steak, and deer chili that was her own mother's recipe, garlic bread, three different casseroles, and an assortment of side dishes.