Chapter 20 - Goodbye

Althea's POV

I spend the next morning wandering aimlessly around the castle. After the fireworks show, Caspian showed me to my room and explained that he would be busy with his quote "kingly duties" and that I had permission to go anywhere in the castle. I slowly go down the steps into the courtyard where Aslan is walking with Peter and Susan. I stare only for a moment, curious about what they're speaking about, and then turn around to go back the way I came.

"Althea," Susan calls. She looks like she's been crying. Her eyes are puffy and still watering a bit. Peter looks more somber than usual as Susan turns back to Aslan who looks apologetic. Caspian appears at my side.

"Your Majesty." Aslan greets him.

"We are ready. Everyone has assembled." Caspian picks up on the atmosphere and starts to pull me away. I glance back at Susan who looks like she's going to burst into tears again, but all I feel is confusion.

"What's happening? Why is everyone gathering?" I ask as he pulls me into a small corridor.

"The Kings and Queens are leaving. They're returning to their world." My brain stops working at this new information.

"What? How long have you known?" I ask, shocked. When he doesn't answer, a flicker of anger flashes through me, then sadness.

"Caspian. Why didn't you tell me?" I ask, trying to stay calm and wait for his explanation. I may not be close to Edmund and Peter but Susan and Lucy were the first friends I made apart from Trufflehunter and Trumpkin. I should've been spending this time with them instead of stumbling around like a fool.

"I'm sorry. Aslan only wanted a few people to know. Lucy and Edmund still have no idea." He explains, resting his hands on my shoulders. "It wasn't my choice to keep it from you."

"I'm not mad at you. I just wish I'd have known so I could spend some more time with them."

"I'm sorry, Althea." He says quietly. He presses a quick kiss to my forehead before leading me away to presumably where everyone is gathering.

~

We're back in the small city. A large tree rests on the edge of a cliff and everyone is gathered before it. I stand with my back towards the cliff, next to Trufflehunter.

"Narnia belongs to the Narnians just as it belongs to man. Any Telmarine who want to stay and live in peace are welcome to. But for any of you who wish, Aslan will return you to the land of our forefathers." Caspian says kindly, addressing his people.

"It's been generations since we left Telmar." A man from the crowd says.

"We're not referring to Telmar. Your ancestors were sea fairing briggers, pirates run aground on an island. There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world. The same world as our Kings and Queens. It is to that island I can return you. It is a good place for any who wish to make a new start." Aslan says. It's silent for several seconds as the crowd makes their decision.

"I'll go," Glozelle says. "I will accept the offer." Caspian lightly bows his head to him, acknowledging his choice.

"So will we." Miraz's former wife speaks up, stepping forward with her father, and a swaddled baby in her arms. The three cautiously walk forward.

"Because you have spoken first, your future in that world shall be good," Aslan says, lightly breathing on their faces. We all turn to face the tree. It creaks and groans as the trunk twists open, creating a small doorway. The crowd gasps and murmurs while they walk forward, disappearing into the tree trunk. All the people sound panicked now as they shout and point at Aslan.