9th

9th 

Dedicated to the creator of the cover on the side --> 

Enjoy! 

(UN-EDITED) 

*

"I didn't know you're this sick."

Riley fixated his eyes to look at me, putting on a serious expression — like he was really shock on how cold my hands were at this point. I just stood there silently, and let him hold my hands for a while, and I just had to admit this, 

I love holding his hands. 

It's warm, comfortable...

I know, I know — hopeless romantic. 

"I'm fine, Riley. Don't worry about me. Gee, I didn't know you cared about me this much," I said jokingly, pulling my hands out of his. If only it's true — that he cared about me that much. 

Riley grimaced. "Ha-ha."

I laughed again, and like always, it failed miserably. I let out another loud cough again, turning my head away from him. My throat was dry, and I wished I could be on my bed right now. 

I hoped Ms. Gail and Sophie would show up soon because I really wanted to go home —  fast. It was bad enough I looked like a freaking monster, with this clown nose and all. And I got to say this, I was thankful Riley couldn't see me like this. 

Riley cringed away, but he was still wearing one of the sympathetic looks on his face. And surprisingly then, he took off his hoodie. "Wear this," he said, passing me his brown hoodie. 

I shook my head. "No, thanks."

He frowned. "I really don't get you sometimes, you know."

"What?"

He sighed, shaking his head. "Just take it, Ellie," he said, stressing on my name, and he handed over his hoodie. 

I beamed at his hoodie, and realized how much I actually wanted it. I knew I'd turn into a huge ice cube if I didn't wear something else to cover my body. Slowly, I took it from his hand. 

"Thanks." I muttered. 

Riley nodded as I slipped into his hoodie. It was a little big for me, considering how tall, and broad-shouldered he was. A strong scent of something between citrusy, and woodsy swept into my nose. Whatever it was, it was a really great smell. 

"Can I ask you something?"

"What?"

I hesitated for a second, biting my lower lips. "Just now, when Sophie was missing you looked  — um, no, actually, I just want to ask you why did you help me?" I asked, stuttering. 

He shrugged, snorting. "I'm not that mean, you know."

I chuckled. "I didn't mean it that way, Riley. I mean, you looked so ... determined to help me find my sister. It was almost like Sophie's your sister," I explained, and he frowned immediately.

Did I say something wrong? 

Riley didn't say anything. But I could see a muscle jumping in his jaw, and there was a line creasing his forehead. Like I just said something really insensitive, and it made him angry. 

"I didn't mean to — Riley, I was just asking. You don't have to answer that question, really."

He took a long breath. "I had a sister," Riley mumbled, bringing his hands together, with his eyes looking down to the floor. "But she died."