Episode 6: "Discovering what mattered..."

At the end of Episode 5:   Ozgur's POV:  What he did not know was that she rubbed that spot because she missed his mother. Missed how his mother cared about her in the beginning. But Özgür did not know that. He only knew that the weekend had passed and now they would return home. Back to Istanbul and back to their lives. He also knew that now they would have nothing to hide anymore. Why that made him sad, he hadn't the slightest clue...

********** 

(Author's Note:  Please read to the end of Episode 6, give us your comments on the episode, and don't forget to vote.  Thank you!)

**********

Can one ever fully admit that they know themselves? Can one ever be that raw and honest? Likewise, can one be so completely honest with themselves that they are able to admit that the choices they make are the ones they want to make... and not choices they need to make to keep holding onto the image of life that they set out to live?

The drive back to Istanbul was usually one Özgür looked forward to. Whenever he visited his family in Göcek, the drive back home was the most pleasant part of the trip. Partially because of his nosy and witty aunt Fitnat. But not this time. The odd thing about driving home this time was that the longer the drive lasted... the longer he wanted it to last. Why? Because of the woman that sat beside him.

If someone would have told Özgür a week ago that the weekend he just spent would have been as eventful as it was, he would not have believed it. But it was. As a matter of fact, Özgür could have easily admitted that the last couple of days were the most eventful of his entire life. He dived into the waters with a woman he never intended to. He met her parents. Her parents met his mother. He met her friends who, as odd as it sounded, he had grown to appreciate. He danced at his sister's wedding in front of his mother, and he managed to convince her that he found someone he finally treated seriously. Even if someone would ask him about what had happened when he battled a band of criminals, he never, EVER, would admit that he owed his freedom to one friendly goat.

But something else happened too. Something that outweighed all the problems they encountered along the way. Again, it was all because of the woman that sat beside him as they drove back to Istanbul. Ezgi. The woman who drove him half-mad and half- crazy. The woman who not only managed to convince his mother, sister, and aunt that she cared about Özgür, but also made his mother accept her from the moment they met. Above all, she made Özgür wonder about how he felt about her. Something he never thought of before. He never wondered before. Never second-guessed himself before. Until now.

They arrived back in Istanbul late in the evening. When they got back home and out of the elevator on their floor, Özgür and Ezgi both breathed a sigh of relief. But somehow neither wanted to say goodbye. Neither one wanted to part ways or let go of the illusion of what they shared over the past few days. Knowing that he needed to be the first one to leave, Özgür went with his gut and suggested that Ezgi drive into work with him the next morning and keep doing so since they would work at the same location. Ezgi agreed and walked into her apartment and closed the door behind her. The apartment felt even more empty than when she left it. Their mission had been accomplished though not without snags along the way. The trip to Göcek went off as planned and was a success. She was glad the weekend was coming to an end but why was she feeling so empty inside? She did not know or was not ready to admit the reason why.

 As for Özgür, setting foot in his apartment felt like he reached his safe haven. His private ground. His own ground. But he walked into a dark apartment. Though the lights were on and he certainly knew his way around his apartment, it felt dark. He was beginning to understand why. Ezgi may have been a last-minute stand-in as his girlfriend, she may have been just an excuse he presented to his family so they would stop nagging him, but she showed him that she had done it from the goodness of her heart. They had made a deal. It was a two-part deal. He got something out of it and so would she. So why did it feel like he was going to end up with the worst part of this deal? He closed his eyes, opened them again, and sighed as he looked at the portrait of James Dean hanging on the wall. Though the image of James Dean often stimulated Özgür's thinking on what he should NOT do, now nothing was coming to him. This meant only one thing. Özgür's balance no longer levelled off.