Episode 13: "A sum of choices..."

At the end of Episode 12:  They danced, embracing each other. They were in love, happy and fully content in their feelings for one another. Then the evening took an unexpected turn when the Police showed up... for Ezgi. She was scared but not as much as Özgür was. He could not believe that Tolga went back on his promise not to press charges against her. Özgür realized in an instant that it was Tolga; he should have known better. He should not have trusted him. He should have protected Ezgi because the heart of the matter lay in her own heart. Özgür swore to himself that he would protect Ezgi at all cost. ALL COST...

(Author's Note: Please read to the end of the episode. Your comments are welcome and you vote too. Thank you!)

**********

Getting played never feels good. Never. Whether at work, in friendship, or in love. The feeling that one's kindness and good intentions get taken for granted goes beyond the superficial pain. It reaches far beyond that. And it leaves one questioning not only the other person's motives, but whether the offered trust was allocated where it should have been in the first place.

The moment Özgür whispered back to Ezgi that he too had fallen in love with her, everything seemed right. Everything felt perfect. The puzzle that he had been trying to piece together for all of his life finally seemed complete. His new establishment had a Grand Opening, his friends and family were there to support him, and he held the woman he loved in his arms. And then...

The puzzle burst and spread the pieces all over. Özgür could barely contain himself when the police came in and asked for Ezgi. They didn't just ask for her. They informed Ezgi that she needed to go to the Police Station with them. Alone. By herself.

THAT was something Özgür would never have allowed. He swore so hard on the inside that he was sure others heard it too. Tolga. Tolga! If he could get his hands on his cousin now, he would not leave one hair out in place. Not one! Özgür gave him "La Gabbia", didn't he? Özgür told him to leave them alone, didn't he? Tolga agreed not to file charges against Ezgi, didn't he?!?

All of it was too much. As Ezgi was escorted out of the building Özgür followed her. Grand Opening or not, he could not stay behind and watch her get punished for something he caused. He was not that kind of man and would never allow himself to be. Never.

Özgür left the grand opening of "La Laguna" with Ozan, Deniz, Cansu, and Levent. Emre was left behind and in charge. But Emre wouldn't have it. He ended the Grand Opening event and tagged along as fast as he could. As they all arrived at the Police station Deniz tried to calm Özgür down but there was nothing she could do. Özgür was livid and scared for Ezgi's wellbeing. He realized something very important while waiting for any kind of news about Ezgi. There was no way he was going to let her spend the night in jail without checking up on his weasel of a cousin first.

Fueled by fear for Ezgi in his heart and fury in his gut at being crossed by Tolga, Özgür barged into "La Gabbia" with Ozan. Technically, the former "La Gabbia" because the place looked and felt nothing like his old and dear restaurant. It felt stale, stiff, and virtually empty. He saw Gizem, rushed to her side, and asked where Tolga was. No, he didn't ask. He demanded the answer. He was done asking. He was done being polite and staying coy. He was done!

It did not surprise him one bit that Tolga was nowhere to be found. He almost chuckled to himself thinking how naive he was to think that Tolga would just sit and wait for him. Gizem told him she did not know where Tolga was. Whether she was telling the truth or not did not matter. What mattered to Özgür was that Ezgi sat alone in a jail cell, while he left her side, for nothing. With nothing left to do at "La Gabbia", he and Ozan left and rushed to the Police Station as fast as they could.