Episode 12: "Heart of the matter"

At the end of Episode 11:  No sooner had Özgür and Ezgi arrived at the new location of the second restaurant than Tolga made an entrance. Özgür was livid but not surprised. He knew Tolga would make his way to the new location one day soon. But two things surprised Özgür. Tolga announced he was now the owner of the building in which the new location would open. And Ezgi had greeted Tolga by name, without being introduced. When Özgür asked how she knew him. Ezgi replied that he was her new employer.

(Author's Note:  Please read to the end of the episode. We appreciate your comments and your vote too. Thank you!)

**********

What could be worse than wrongfully ending a budding relationship because of one's own insecurities? Finding a way back to the beloved yet being unable to protect them. Being helpless against the winds that batter their soul. Being incapable of shielding the beloved from life's unfairness - all because of the beloved's love for you.

Özgür's blood boiled. The fury running through his veins the moment he saw Tolga enter his new restaurant sped up its pace when his pitiful cousin advised him that he would now become Özgür's landlord. The fact that Tolga was always one step behind Özgür seemed to give way to a reality from an alternate universe. It wasn't enough for Tolga to go after Özgür because of "La Gabbia", which Tolga insanely thought of as his. No, that wasn't enough. Tolga now reveled in the idea that Özgür would not only pay him rent, Özgür would have to play by his rules as well. That was not something Özgür took lightly.

But...

Nothing prepared Özgür for the blow he received to his gut, AND his ego, when Ezgi introduced Tolga as her new employer. That's right, her new employer. While Tolga smiled repulsively, Özgür tried to decide whether he should punch Tolga for being a donkey's arse, or whether he should knock the daylights out of his cousin for going after those close to him. Because one thing was clear. Tolga knew exactly what he was doing when he hired Ezgi. Moreover, he knew who he hired, and why.

But...

That wasn't all. Ezgi learned in one very painful blow just who she trusted with her work. She trusted the epitome of all definitions of a "Mr. Wrong" as a boss. Tolga was no patron. He was a provocateur. One that hated Özgür. She didn't have to look very deep to see how much Tolga hated and envied Özgür. She told Özgür right then and there that she was going to quit. On the spot without a moment of hesitation. Tolga laughed. That was exactly what he was hoping for. It was too easy even for him. He became Özgür's landlord, he was going to make sure he got "La Gabbia", and he was going to hit Özgür where it hurt the most. He was going to hit Ezgi.

Fully aware that Özgür was going to explode, Tolga handed him a piece of paper he had conveniently crafted himself. He didn't anticipate Ezgi would be by Özgür's side when he read it but, why not? Killing two birds with one stone was even better. This way he would save himself from repeating himself. And his time was pretty precious, for the ruthlessly busy businessman that he was. Tolga smirked as he watched Özgür unfold the paper and read it. He watched with utter pleasure and rapture as he saw fear, disbelief, and helplessness paint Özgür's face in a variety of colors of rage and a coming rampage.

Likewise, Tolga had to compose himself and keep from bursting out in a vicious superior laugh when he saw Ezgi's fear, disbelief, and a similar shade of helplessness in her eyes. But he misjudged Özgür and the strength of his fist. That was something his face didn't appreciate. Özgür launched at Tolga with so much force that Tolga didn't have any time to prepare for it. Özgür saw that fear in his cousin's eyes, not that he cared for it one lousy bit because he didn't. He only cared about Ezgi.

Özgür let go of Tolga's neck just long enough to grab him and throw him out. Tolga'a face hurt but so did his pride, but not for long. He composed himself and reminded Özgür that he would regret it. He would pay for his disrespect. He also reminded Özgür that as his landlord, he could flick a finger and Özgür would lose his permit to the new establishment. License or no license, he would prevent the restaurant from opening. Period. As a great token of his benevolence, Tolga reminded his cousin to keep the little piece of paper incriminating Ezgi. He had more copies of it and would surely go to the press with the statement.