Exiled

The candles flickered, casting an ominous glow about the room. A small figure stood at the window, staring out into the night. Red haired with pale skin, the figure was a teenage girl. Her face betrayed no emotion. But deep inside, a cold fear festered. In just a few minutes she would turn eighteen and then her nightmare would begin.

The girl was named Isabella. She was the daughter of Arabella, the most powerful witch the coven had ever seen. A single tear splashed down her cheek. Her mother would not be present today. She had passed several years earlier, giving birth to her sister. The baby had also passed, several hours later.

Isabella turned from the window, having heard a knock at the door. The door opened and a hooded person entered. The hood was pushed back and Isabella found herself staring into the dark eyes of Marianna, the covens headmistress. The older woman looked upon her with narrowed eyes, lips tight.

"Its time."

Isabella swallowed the fear that bubbled just beneath her skin and forced herself from the window. She joined Marianna at the door. The older lady gripped her shoulder tightly as the pair exited the small room. No words were spoken as she was led down the spiral staircase to where the other witch elders awaited their arrival.

Isabella stood straight, eyes slightly downcast. She didn't need to see their faces. Their anger and hatred was so immense that she nearly collapsed from the weight of it. Marianna left her side and joined the Elders.

"Isabella, do you know why you are here?" Marianna asked, her voice full of hate. Isabella knew better than to voice a response. "You are accused of using magic against a fellow witch."

Isabella flinched. The accusation was false but that seemed to matter very little to the witches seated before her. Isabella briefly considered defending herself but quickly thought better of it. It would make little difference. Besides, if the Elders were to probe deeper, they may stumble across her shameful secret, the one mother had whispered in her ear whilst on her deathbed.

"Do you deny the accusation?"

Isabella lifted her head, staring each witch in the eye. Almost all averted their gaze, unwilling to make eye contact. All except one. Marianna looked back, eyes glinting with satisfaction.

"I do not deny it."

Marianna's eyes widened in shock. A small smile passed across Isabella's lips. Marianna had expected her to deny it. She wanted the satisfaction of putting Isabella through a trial. But because she accepted and confirmed the accusation, there could be only one action taken.

An elder, whose name escaped her, stepped forward. "Isabella Denali, you are hereby exiled from this coven. You will be escorted to the place of your choosing and you are never to return."

Isabella nodded her head in understanding. "I choose New Orleans."